Whose had faulty scope rings?

DJ Fergus

I've never had any faulty rings & I've used some really cheap ones in the past. I'm asking because I've saw a few threads here lately with speculation of faulty rings being cause of accuracy issues. I've never ran across this sort of thing. Would like to hear if any of you actually diagnosed faulty rings as the culprit when all fasteners on the rings were tight.

Had a screw break on a set of Talley rings, couldn't tell it was broke, and didn't know for a while why my groups were so bad.

Last edited:
Yeah, most of the problems people experience with rings are going to start with the screws. They can be over tightened or the heads can be stripped. I did over tighten a set of millet rings on a rim fire once and just came to the conclusion that Millet rings aren't really strong enough; or they might be for some applications but I would prefer to have stronger rings.

I've had some Talley's that started to hairline crack on the upper ring half. Talley was great in sending me some free upper ring halves. But even with them starting to crack, they didn't cause me accuracy problems.My original question from the start of this post should have been who's had problems with scope rings causing inaccuracy when there was no obvious visual issue and it wasn't an issue with the screws being loose. In other words: everything was tight and everything visually checked out good but when the rings were replaced with new rings: accuracy was restored. I'm asking because I've never saw that be the case before. I keep seeing posts where ring replacement is suggested as something to do to eliminate an accuracy problem. I just don't understand that because I've never saw a set of rings that were tight and everything appeared to be good, but indeed were bad and causing accuracy problems.

One set of Talley rings as mentioned before on a custom 300 WM where the groups would not be to my liking no matter of various load development. Replaced them with rail and NF rings and instantly became a 'one holder'.

One set of Talley rings as mentioned before on a custom 300 WM where the groups would not be to my liking no matter of various load development. Replaced them with rail and NF rings and instantly became a 'one holder'.
so were the Talley rings not holding the scope or were the Talley rings not holding the base? What was the point of movement?

I've never had any faulty rings & I've used some really cheap ones in the past. I'm asking because I've saw a few threads here lately with speculation of faulty rings being cause of accuracy issues. I've never ran across this sort of thing. Would like to hear if any of you actually diagnosed faulty rings as the culprit when all fasteners on the rings were tight.

Ditto!

I've had scopes slip in Talley's, Warne, and Seekins. Yes, I use a torque wrench and tighten to spec. Yes, I clean the scope, ring halves and screws with acetone before fitting. Now I bed all my mounts and scope rings. It's easy to do and no more issues.

I use a drop of 3M super gasket adhesive on each upper & lower ring. The 3M super gasket adhesive is similar to contact cement only much much stronger. It takes quite a bit of effort to remove rings & scope after this. The adhesive will come off with a cloth & acetone. And virtually no ring marks to speak of.

I bought a set of bright-finish rings once. (Thought they were stainless) Though they were a big name brand I really wanted black, but anyway....the first time they even began to snug up they broke like glass! (Too hard?) Anyway, the company replaced them, no questions asked & didn't even want the 4 old ones back. (I think that they knew that they had a problem)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts