Whose Deer Is sit ?

I will quit hunting to help my hunting partner(s) with THEIR meat. I expect nothing. I am more than happy to share my meat. I will help them cut and wrap their meat. I want them to keep their meat for themselves and their family. Anybody that thinks they are entitled to someone else's meat because they were there is probably a Democrat.

Steve
If I said something that offended you, I apologize (sincerely). The people I hunt with all seem to like the arrangement. I had never thought about the issue w.r.t. trophies, however, per the OP. The OTC unit I hunt elk in averages roughly a 10% success rate. Three of last four seasons there I was the one who shot the elk and shared with others. Other year I was by myself. Appreciate you engaging and it sounds like you'd be an excellent hunting partner. Your approach to giving of your time and efforts and expecting nothing in return is an excellent way to live. If more of the world lived that way, it'd certainly be a better place for all!

I will quit hunting to help my hunting partner(s) with THEIR meat. I expect nothing. I am more than happy to share my meat. I will help them cut and wrap their meat. I want them to keep their meat for themselves and their family. Anybody that thinks they are entitled to someone else's meat because they were there is probably a Democrat.

Steve
The size of the animal, the quantity of meat on the animal, the weight of the backpacks, the number of trips to get the animal out, and the physical burden involved are all factors that come into play, in my experience.

Alaskan moose may be the best example in North America. A mature bull will involve a minimum of 7 pack trips on a human's back. If the dead bull is remote and in tough country, one person will not be able to recover the animal before it's spoiled, or the hunter has died of exhaustion. It's too grueling - too physically demanding. Even when I was in my mid-20s.

The options are, don't shoot the moose, or shoot the bull relying on the prior knowledge that others will participate in recovery, and get some meat. When there's 350 pounds of boneless meat, enough to feed two large families for one year, who cares. Sometimes no one outside the hunting party will volunteer to hike in to recover the meat, even if they get to keep every pound they pack out, if the bull is difficult to retrieve. Shoot one in your back yard and it's altogether different. Finders keepers!
There aren't many legal bull moose killed along the road where I live anymore. So as with most things in life, there are different considerations for different circumstances, situations, activities, and... hunts.
It's common that moose hunting in Alaska involves a prior agreement that the meat is shared in some way. It allows for more successful hunting for all involved, and improved odds that some meat will end up in freezers of the hunting party.

Last edited:

Steve

Thats the way I do it to Steve. I even go on hunts that I do not have a tag for just to be there and a part of it. Then I help with packing the meat out if they do get something. Theres more to hunting then even just the meat. Just being out in the woods, hills or Mountains with friends is enough for me.

As for whos deere is it? If I was the party that wounded it and my friend put it down after it ran off like that over the hill I would count it as his animal. I would shake his hand for getting it and being a better shot then me. Its that simple. Why take the low road?

Last edited:
As someone who grew up in a family that hunts as a group I couldn't fathom hunting with people but only being in it for yourself. From the time I started hunting everything was a group effort, everyone helped get stands ready before the season, after the morning hunt you went back out to helped those who got deer and brought them back to the house.

Those who got deer then would walk on the drives to try and push deer to those who didn't and at the end of the day we would all help skin and quarter whatever we got. Everything for us was a team effort and at the end of the trip the meat would get divided evenly among those that wanted it.

Since all the meat gets divided no one really cares who gets the does and due to our placement of stands we have yet to have an injured buck make it to another person in our group. However if there were such a case it would go to whoever had the first fatal shot, after all you can't control if your double lung shot deer runs 100 yards over to another hunter.

If I said something that offended you, I apologize (sincerely). The people I hunt with all seem to like the arrangement. I had never thought about the issue w.r.t. trophies, however, per the OP. The OTC unit I hunt elk in averages roughly a 10% success rate. Three of last four seasons there I was the one who shot the elk and shared with others. Other year I was by myself. Appreciate you engaging and it sounds like you'd be an excellent hunting partner. Your approach to giving of your time and efforts and expecting nothing in return is an excellent way to live. If more of the world lived that way, it'd certainly be a better place for all!
Lol. No offense. Hard to read emotion. Should use the little smile things more!

Steve

As someone who grew up in a family that hunts as a group I couldn't fathom hunting with people but only being in it for yourself. From the time I started hunting everything was a group effort, everyone helped get stands ready before the season, after the morning hunt you went back out to helped those who got deer and brought them back to the house.

Those who got deer then would walk on the drives to try and push deer to those who didn't and at the end of the day we would all help skin and quarter whatever we got. Everything for us was a team effort and at the end of the trip the meat would get divided evenly among those that wanted it.

Since all the meat gets divided no one really cares who gets the does and due to our placement of stands we have yet to have an injured buck make it to another person in our group. However if there were such a case it would go to whoever had the first fatal shot, after all you can't control if your double lung shot deer runs 100 yards over to another hunter.
If someone shoots a trophy animal do the antlers belong to the group. Everybody is entitled to them since it was a team effort.

I'm all about the team effort. Sharing is voluntary not mandatory.

Steve

If someone shoots a trophy animal do the antlers belong to the group. Everybody is entitled to them since it was a team effort.

I'm all about the team effort. Sharing is voluntary not mandatory.

Steve

No, the trophy would go to whoever got the first fatal shot on the animal. I clarified that point in my last couple sentences in the previous post. Only the meat gets divided between the group, the exception would be if we get a bunch of deer and one of our guests wanted to take it home and take it to their butcher. But honestly we are in central PA, generally speaking bucks of any size are few and far between.

My statements were more directed at clubs more like the one my buddy is in. They have 30 members that hunt a 600 acre property, they pretty much all hunt separately from each other in assigned stands with zero interaction with each other outside of hanging out at the house. There is little camaraderie and it's to the point that at the end of the day they would pass somebody struggling to load their deer onto an ATV because they didn't shoot it.

"Pass someone stuggling"....hell..I'd help load it for a ride to my quad(if I had one in use).....
I guess a lot of what we are talking about here is consideration of people....if I killed something and someone I didn't know but was wondering by and help get it out I would offer up a big juicy backstraps for a thank you...now if that person was hunting with me and others...another story all together....get your *** over here..help me pack this out and hand him a big juicy fire roasted backstrap and a cold *** beer......with a big smile and thank you....hell I might have even opened that beer for him........:):):):)

The size of the animal, the quantity of meat on the animal, the weight of the backpacks, the number of trips to get the animal out, and the physical burden involved are all factors that come into play, in my experience.

Alaskan moose may be the best example in North America. A mature bull will involve a minimum of 7 pack trips on a human's back. If the dead bull is remote and in tough country, one person will not be able to recover the animal before it's spoiled, or the hunter has died of exhaustion. It's too grueling - too physically demanding. Even when I was in my mid-20s.

The options are, don't shoot the moose, or shoot the bull relying on the prior knowledge that others will participate in recovery, and get some meat. When there's 350 pounds of boneless meat, enough to feed two large families for one year, who cares. Sometimes no one outside the hunting party will volunteer to hike in to recover the meat, even if they get to keep every pound they pack out, if the bull is difficult to retrieve. Shoot one in your back yard and it's altogether different. Finders keepers!
There aren't many legal bull moose killed along the road where I live anymore. So as with most things in life, there are different considerations for different circumstances, situations, activities, and... hunts.
It's common that moose hunting in Alaska involves a prior agreement that the meat is shared in some way. It allows for more successful hunting for all involved, and improved odds that some meat will end up in freezers of the hunting party.

aint that the truth. when we get moose, its shared equally. i know of places that i could find the biggest moose ever, but they are just too dang hard to pack out. if i had a team of llamas or whatever it would be a different story. you can fly in many parts of alaska and see monster bulls that nobody will ever bother. people who hog all the moose meat for themselves seldom get invited again.,

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.