Whose Deer Is sit ?

Hunterslife72 needs to reread the scenario because the kid only shot one time and did not inflict a killing shot by taking it's testicles off! The person who shot twice and killed the deer, then put his tag on the buck should have never let the deer out of his sight. He probably won't get it back and I'd sure never speak to the guy again because I don't need "friends" like that ahole!

Sounds like the kind of guy that will hang it on his wall, stand there with his chest puffed out and brag to people about the massive buck his son shot. I doubt I would've let it out of my sight until it was with my taxidermist but I guess you didn't know what an arsehole you were dealing with.

Somehow in my 13 years of hunting, including multiple drives a year, we have only run into a similar situation twice, coincidentally both involving my brother.

The first involved me and my first buck his very first year hunting, he shot at an 8pt missed and it ran a couple hundred yards to me where I killed it. He swore that he hit it first and refused to believe it no matter how many times my dad explained that he simply missed. He finally agreed when we skinned it and it was quite clear there was a single heart shot only.

The second time was a small 7pt that both him and the farmers daughter were shooting at as it crossed the field. Since they were both using .243's and it had three holes in it they got their picture with it, split the meat and I believe the rack ended up in the box with the rest of the assorted small bucks shot over the years. Had this been a larger buck I believe we would have given it to the farmers daughter as she was more likely the one that hit it.

I agree that the OP should have gotten the deer, he placed the kill shot on a still living and moving deer therefore it is his deer. Now if he had simply executed a downed deer that would be a different story, I have had to shoot a couple deer that weren't quite dead and never once considered them to be "mine".

Quite a tissyfit situation....
In Oregon as clear as I remember it is the person that tags the animal first is the winner.....you aren't supposed to kill an animal for another but the tagger becomes the possessor....
And as a story....while I was a young lad....neighbor kid(Tony..had serious health issues) my age went hunting with dad and some of his dads buddies in eastern Oregon for mulies....Tony was at the truck others were walking up the mountain....well later the walkers chased a nice buck down the hill...of which Tony shot..but being he couldn't walk over to it he had to wait for the guys to come down the mountain....when they got there Tony told them he killed a buck and it was over in the tall sagebrush....they kinda believed him..they all went over there and found the buck..still alive...Tonys bullet had broken both of it back legs...they killed it and got it back to the truck where Tony could claim his trophy....A 5×5 27" wide......not one person argued about who got to tag that deer......

When I hunt with others we always split the meat evenly between all hunters. No matter who shot it. So that's simple, though I've never thought about how to handle issues of rights to the trophy. Reading this thread it seems it could be worth setting a guideline for it. We don't really hunt near each other so I don't forecast there being an issue, but maybe better safe than sorry. Educational thread.

Chatting with my wife now about this... She doesn't want me to have any more trophies so she just chimed in that regardless of any rules in place the other guy gets the trophy. o_O

A 190" whitetail deer is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for most hunters. For most PA hunters, they could tape their last 3 season's buck antlers together and still not get 190".

Unless you are hunting behind a high fence and paying 10K for your shot, you just don't see deer like that on a regular enough basis to shrug it off.

in Kentucky if it dies on my side of the fence
It's my deer! Period! ..

This thread is a pretty good read. Being from Kentucky I'll have to agree whole heartedly with "KyCarl" as I also ONLY hunt my property for this and many other reasons.
I'm reminded of a story I was told as a young hunter. The man that told me the story was a great friend AND the one who taught me to hunt. He said he was deer hunting on Fort Knox property back in the 70's and he heard a shot ring out VERY close to him and then he saw a Boone & Crockett class buck running towards him. He also shot and dropped the deer in his tracks. He climbed down from his stand and went over to the monster buck and noted 2 killing shots on the brute. Just then the other shooter showed up and my friend, knowing the right thing to do, reluctantly gave the Booner to the first shooter as it was obvious that his shot (the first shot) was a KILLING SHOT.
The guy in the original story is the rightful owner of that deer as his was the ONLY killing shot put on that deer. He shouldn't necessarily stop being friends with the little boy's father, BUT he should NEVER hunt with that group again!

When I hunt with others we always split the meat evenly between all hunters. No matter who shot it. So that's simple, though I've never thought about how to handle issues of rights to the trophy. Reading this thread it seems it could be worth setting a guideline for it. We don't really hunt near each other so I don't forecast there being an issue, but maybe better safe than sorry. Educational thread.

Chatting with my wife now about this... She doesn't want me to have any more trophies so she just chimed in that regardless of any rules in place the other guy gets the trophy. o_O
I won't hunt with someone who thinks they have a right to my meat just because they are on the same trip. If I am hunting with someone and they harvest an animal I will give them 100% effort to get that animal packed out and into his truck. I do not expect any of the meat. When we hunt in a group everyone pitches in to do what is necessary to recover an animal. The hunter that owns the animal keeps the animal. Nobody has a right to anybody else meat. If I want to give meat to someone that is different.

Steve

Two of my brothers and myself were driving up steelhead fishing..came around a corner and a truck parked on the edge of the country road...in the pasture we could see an elk carcus and pieces and parts of a cow elk in a trail heading towards the truck...a really old guy sitting in the field and an older guy in the truck...
Assessing the situation..we parked ahead of them jumped the fence grabbed those parts and pieces and the rest of that elk and got it in that truck....as the guys were thanking us the older guy pulls a wad of cash out of his pocket and offers to pay us...knowing they weren't gonna be happy if we didn't take something....we said okay...$5...enough for a six pack at the store to enjoy while fishing..I don't remember if we caught fish...but my two gave me a buzz.....
If I party hunt..I give up enough meat(on elk) to make it worth while to the others...if a deer I may give up a full backstrap....
I am out there to shoot a critter..not destroy friendships..hell..back in my younger years I gutted a three year old muley buck and packed it out on my shoulders to the road..about 1 1/2 miles....I didnt even shoot it......just wanted to see if I could do it....Heck..I wasn't even hunting....just walking areas and pushing deer from brush....then there's the Blacktail my wife shot...300 yards downhill..it kicked my ***........I am getting old......time to get the kid on steroids.....pack the deer, elk and me out......

Worry about a set of antlers......has never came to mind for me...meat is the reason I hunt...if the antlers are of more importance..well......priorities.....

Last edited:
With todays decline in our society, its not unheard of for someone to get shot over this! No deer is worth a violent confrontation, As far as "his friend", well anyone has the "right" to re-evaluate their relationships at anytime. We would be done.

I won't hunt with someone who thinks they have a right to my meat just because they are on the same trip. If I am hunting with someone and they harvest an animal I will give them 100% effort to get that animal packed out and into his truck. I do not expect any of the meat. When we hunt in a group everyone pitches in to do what is necessary to recover an animal. The hunter that owns the animal keeps the animal. Nobody has a right to anybody else meat. If I want to give meat to someone that is different.

Steve
When I'm on an elk backpacking trip and cleaning and hauling meat can take days, caring for the meat can consume a large portion of the hunting season. Not to mention it avoids any issues of who might hunt a better area whe you're together. I've far more often shared meat from an animal I killed than the other way around, and I'm good with that. That's also the way my dad did all his moose hunts, and I stuck with it.

That said, for small animals (deer or antelope) I can certainly see why others might do it differently.

My brother once spent most is his elk season helping to haul a partners elk but wasn't offered any meat at all. Not a person he'll ever hunt with again, and I can see why.

I think as long as everyone is clear in things it should work out.

Good thread.

EDIT: I don't want to exaggerate. One style of hunt I've done could take 2 guys two long, full days (a couple of thousands of feet of elevation gain/loss across several miles on each trip). More lately, the elk hunts I've been doing might simply consume one full day for two guys as we've learned of an option to call the calvary (horses) to help. In the situation with my brother, he spent the last 2 days of his season, foregoing an ability to shoot an elk "of his own" to help his hunting partner. Figured I should be clearer since I said "days" above which isn't always the case. I guess the key for me is that these folks are my hunting "partners" vs. people simply on the same hunt. I fully respect that others may do things differently, and I suspect the key to all being satisfied is knowing the arrangement in advance.

Last edited:
When I'm on an elk backpacking trip and cleaning and hauling meat can take days, caring for the meat can consume a large portion of the hunting season. Not to mention it avoids any issues of who might hunt a better area whe you're together. I've far more often shared meat from an animal I killed than the other way around, and I'm good with that. That's also the way my dad did all his moose hunts, and I stuck with it.

That said, for small animals (deer or antelope) I can certainly see why others might do it differently.

My brother once spent most is his elk season helping to haul a partners elk but wasn't offered any meat at all. Not a person he'll ever hunt with again, and I can see why.

I think as long as everyone is clear in things it should work out.

Good thread.

EDIT: I don't want to exaggerate. One style of hunt I've done could take 2 guys two long, full days (a couple of thousands of feet of elevation gain/loss across several miles on each trip). More lately, the elk hunts I've been doing might simply consume one full day for two guys as we've learned of an option to call the calvary (horses) to help. In the situation with my brother, he spent the last 2 days of his season, foregoing an ability to shoot an elk "of his own" to help his hunting partner. Figured I should be clearer since I said "days" above which isn't always the case. I guess the key for me is that these folks are my hunting "partners" vs. people simply on the same hunt. I fully respect that others may do things differently, and I suspect the key to all being satisfied is knowing the arrangement in advance.
I will quit hunting to help my hunting partner(s) with THEIR meat. I expect nothing. I am more than happy to share my meat. I will help them cut and wrap their meat. I want them to keep their meat for themselves and their family. Anybody that thinks they are entitled to someone else's meat because they were there is probably a Democrat.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.