who's using RF binos

I'm running a pair of the Steiner Military M830r LRF 8x30's (Item no. 5918, not to be confused with the $8000 version that ranges to 6000+ meters). Absolutely amazing ranging ability, especially in rain, fog, sleet, and snow. I was repeatedly ranging steel plates at 800 - 1200+ yards at the Battle of Breakneck PRS match in driving sleet and snow where many peoples optics were too fogged up to even see the targets, let alone range them. You could barely see the steel through the snow and yet it would ping the range every time.

My pair appears to be 'locked' at a maximum of 1879 yards, because on many days I can range up a steep hillside, hitting every reading right up to 1879 yards, and then not get a read even a yard past that . Unlike most range finders that I have used that start to miss a lot of reads and get sketchy as you approach their maximum ranging ability, I could hit 1875 - 1879 yards repeatedly.

In full sunlight and tougher conditions it is a bit harder to range to a mile, but 1000 - 1500 yards is nearly 100% reliable for me and this is handheld, un-supported.

To my eyes, the glass is as good as anything I have looked through, including some of the other European mfr optics. They weigh 26 oz and have the Heritage Lifetime warranty (very unusual for a laser rangefinder with electronic components). They also have a nice milling reticle that can be handy for spotting and calling corrections in mils, or if you can do a little math-on-the-fly, calculating things like the spread of a bucks rack. For example, say a bucks spread measures exactly 1 mil and you range it at 1000 yards, that's a 36" wide rack.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.