Who's using 168 Noslers?

liltank

Who here is shooting the 168 Nosler Hunting Ballistic Tip in .308? Please share load data and velocities. I'm interested in all data, but more particularly the longer barrel users (26-30). Mine is a 28" 1:12, so that will be a little closer to the data I am seeking. Thanks guys!:cool:

Tank

I am using the silver ballistic tips

* NOTE this load is HOT and should be worked up to.

45.8 gr Rl-15
2715 fps out of a 20" tube.
Best group has been .38 MOA 3 shot group @ 100 yards but I am consistantly shooting 1/2 MOA groups with this load.

On the low end of the scale, 43 gr if Rl-15 was the most accurate in my gun, but I went with first load because its a hunting load. My gun shot poorly inbetween these two powder weights. Around 1 MOA.

Winchester brass and primers.

I would have to check my notes at home to give you the distance off the lands. The rifle is a stock savage pc .308.

Last edited:
That's pretty impressive from a 20" tube. I currently have a load pushing 175 custom comps and SMK's at 2750 with 45grn of RL15. I just put in an order for the Green Tip Nosler hunting bullets in 168grns. I just ordered 2#'s of AR comp to see what it will do. It is more temp stable than RL15. It is suppose to have a burn rate closer to that of Varget. So here's hoping. I have had some really good luck with Alliant powder's.

Looking forward to more info from other guys.

Tank

24" 10 twist 168nbt win brass cci br2s 47grns varget 2834fps highest, 85* that day, averages 2821 with a es of 7. Should hit 2880 in your 28" with ar comp. I also just loaded some of these in lake city brass, weighed h2o capacity and used 44.5grns due to the LC brass having 3.1grn less capacity, similar to lapua cases.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.