Who's loading for the .308 Warbird?

the444shooter

Who\'s loading for the .308 Warbird?

Well, I'm trying to find a load for my Sako TRG-S .308 Warbird with Barnes XLC bullets. Using Nosler data with the Barnes bullets, (106.5gr Re25, 165gr) I got excessive muzzle flash. This was interesting to me, since the 30/378 Wby calls for a 110gr max load for a 165gr XLC. If I'm getting lots of muzzle flash, I'm not using all my powder...I can't imagine the amount of unused powder in the Wby case. I'm thinking about buying the 150gr factory loaded Lazerhead bullets, but I also have a box of 50 .308 168gr Barnes XLC's that I would like to use. If anyone's loading for the Warbird, please share your experiences. Thanks!!!!

Re: Who\'s loading for the .308 Warbird?

I was going to go with 168gr XLC's in mt Sako WarBird but have since decided on 168gr TSX. If anybody has laod info for the 168gr TSX in the Sako WarBird post it here. Ben you could try sending John Lazzeroni an e-mail he has been friendly and helpful to me.
smile.gif

Re: Who\'s loading for the .308 Warbird?

HA!!!!!!!!
Que curiosidad! Thanks for the reply Northernsniper, yes I have been emailing John for the last year and a half or so. He is always very prompt with his replies, which I'm very grateful for. I loaded the 168gr XLC's in my Sako Warbird, with a max load of RE25, and the XLC's loaded .055" off the lands, velocity is 3650fps, and I'm getting sub 3/4" groups, but not quite 1/2". (off a bench, not a vise) It's plenty good enough for me though...I can't wait to drop a speed goat with it this weekend. One other thing I noticed is that the barrel really does stay cooler when shooting the coated X bullets vs. standard jacketed bullets. Interestingly, I loaded some 165gr Interbonds that wouldn't give me less than 1.5" at 100yds...just walked left to right.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.