Who's got a 25-45 Sharps bolt gun?

megastink

I've been kicking around an ultralight build idea but undecided on the caliber. Its taken my from 257 Roberts, to 25-06, to 257 Weatherby. Recently, I think the 6x45 would be good for my eastern PA whitetails, but then I discovered the 25-45 Sharps. My shots aren't more than a few hundred yards at most, and I have a drive to own a Quarter bore. Lightweight, low recoil, stopping power to 300 yards is the goal, and keeping it a short action would be even better. So, who hunts/has hunted with a 25-45 Sharps? Would it be worth even building this in a bolt gun (AR's are not allowed for hunting here in PA) or maybe I'd be better off with a 6x45?

Well you made me look it up 😃
Finding bullets would be a pain. Most of the 80 gr stuff I've seen is for 25-20 or possibly 25-35

Forgot about the Speer guys. Go for it be fun gun for smaller stuff!! I've always been a 257 fan but it's frustrating finding choices for bullets.

Yep I do. I have a thing for the old levers so I have the 25-20,2535 and o couple 25-06
There's some stuff but it's definitely not like the other cals

I have a .25x45 in an AR, but haven't hunted with it, yet. Out of a 20" AR, with the gas shut off, I averaged 2,977fps with factory ammo with the 87gr Speer Hot-Cor and a Magnetospeed at the muzzle (41.5fps S-D). It's respectable, but I think the .25-223 wildcat's design is a little better; it shortens the brass a little more for longer, heavier bullets. If you're doing a bolt action, you'll probably end up duplicating .250 Savage, but with something requiring a reamer almost no one has.

I would just do a 25 Creedmoor and change a bushing in a set of 6.5CM dies. You could do the same thing with a 6BR variant, 6.5x47, 6GT, or even the 6.5Grendel/6ARC(would require a different bolt face).

Something with a 308 bolt face (0.473) would be easier to reuse someday down the line when you cant find and 25cal bullets lol.

I had a 25-45 AR. It was accurate and ran the 87 grain bullets in the 2800 FPS range. I shot some hogs with a thermal mounted on it but I decided shooting 68 or 77 grain BTHP 5,56 was just as effective and much simpler. If you had a 223 Savage or set up a 223 Tikka as a switch barrel with a barrel nut it could be a really cool build, but as others said above, I wouldn't pour a large investment into a custom gun in this caliber. There are too many hurdles to overcome for the 25-45 performance level.

I'm partial to the quarter bore! I have a 257 Rob AI and a 25-45 gas gun with a 25x284 being brewed.

The 25-45 is a hammer from 200 and in. I have not had a chance to kill anything beyond 200ish yet but will be looking for an opportunity!

After re-reading your post, there is no way I could recommend a 25-45 for 300 yard shots at whitetail. The energy level is simply too low for clean kills. A 25 creedmoor is a much better choice with less challenges.

Recent Posts