Who's going black bear hunting this spring

I was planning on going out in the south west corner of Alberta alongside the mountains middle of May for a few days. Then up to the far north of the province 1st or 2nd week of June. I can take two bears, but I only want to get one this spring. I've been seeing big bears when I'm out for elk, and want to keep a tag for that.

We got a sow last weekend here in n. Idaho. She was on the small side about 140lbs. Our bears here arent that big on average. 200lbs is a really good black bear. It was my friends first bear. Shot across a drainage at 918 yrds with my .300 rum 210 GR VLD. The pack out was brutal. Kept sinking through the sno up to our waist in some shady spots. Fun to see him get his first bear (also the longest shot he had ever taken). Oh yeah , she wont get any elk calves this spring either!

Last edited:
Nice shot. 918yds is a long shot. How was the performance of the bullet? I'm sure it punched through without a hitch. There isn't much resistance in a small bear.

I'm just workin' on my truck and quad, gettin' them ready for the trip up north. The guns are ready, they have been for awhile.

Anybody else seeing any bears out and about?

Skiking, is there a grizzly season in MT?

No grizz season in MT. There used to be but the greenies got them put on the endangered list. Now their off the list and I'm wondering why they haven't opened a season on them. There are plenty of them out there. I think their agenda is to them back through out the entire Rocky Mnt Range from Yellowstone to Glacier. They are close to that now.

No Grizzl hunting here in Alberta either. I believe for the same reasons you said. There is plenty of them though. They are getting braver all the time and they're expanding their territory down into the farmland already.

If there's ever a season opened up again, I'll be sure to have my name in the draw.

Nice shot. 918yds is a long shot. How was the performance of the bullet? I'm sure it punched through without a hitch. There isn't much resistance in a small bear.

I'm just workin' on my truck and quad, gettin' them ready for the trip up north. The guns are ready, they have been for awhile.

Anybody else seeing any bears out and about?

Skiking, is there a grizzly season in MT?

the vld did really well..we use em for everything . they are deadly. he took the first shot at 868 yrds and missed (rushed it). we calmed things down and he hit her with the second shot. goin out tomm. to see about getting the wife on one.

Anybody been getting out for bear lately? I snuck away for a week. Saw 12 bears. I've always wanted to try bear meat, so I shot a small bear (150lbs) on the first day. In the area I was hunting in a guy can get two tags, so I bought another tag and continued hunting. I searched high and low for a big old boar, but I just couldn't find the one that I wanted. I almost shot the last bear I saw on the last day as it looked like a good one. Round belly that hung down, small looking ears. But, I crept up to under 100 yds to get a better look and it just didn't strike me as the one I wanted. It just didn't seem to have the size. Maybe I should've shot it as I was heading home soon, but a guy will never get the big one if he shoots the small one first.

A friend that came out with me shot his first bear. He was really excited. It was a smaller bear that went 5 feet nose to tail. I hunted a set of HUGE tracks for a few days, but no sign of the bear that made them.

I am done bear hunting now for the spring, unless I get shipped up north for work, then I can go out every night 'til July 15th.

Anybody got any good stories to tell about their bear hunt?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.