Who's going black bear hunting this spring

eric2381

Hello everybody. I really enjoy hunting black bears in the spring. I like spot and stalk, and I like baiting. I'll be going out end of May, first week of June.

Who else is goin' lookin' for blackie this spring?

This will be my busiest year with work and other projects going on. I've not missed a spring bear hunt since 05. Unfortunately, this will be my first.

I did put in for Utah elk, pronghorn, and mulie, however. And, I will be putting in for CO mulie point.

Good luck on your hunt. BBs are some of my favorite game animals!

My season started april 1st. No bears awake yet. I live in Oregon and we can't bait or use hounds. I get mine at long range! I have a spot where I usually see 3-7 bears a day by just sittin'. Real steep, grassy, rocky, glades. I can shoot anywhere from 465 out to 1,100 yards. Gotta be kinda carefull where you shoot though, some areas are almost impossible to get one out. Like sheep or goat hunting. Been having real unpredictable weather, with 2-6" of snow every other night. High wind too. Have a few days of 60-70* weather this week. Should get'em movin"gun)

What do you think, Natank? Is it gonna be another really late spring up there? Last year we went out in the middle of May, north of Grande Prairie. There was plenty of snow in the bush still then and no bears. We went up again the first week of June, and they were just starting to come out.

The guys that hunt them in the hills, do you see most of your bears on south facing slopes? Where there is the most sunshine?

I try to bait around beaver dams and low lying areas. Seems like it works well. The only problem with that is there can be plenty of bugs when you're sitting on the bait.

Last edited:
The area I watch is on the south facing slopes. Grass is about 8" tall with buttercups (flowers) in it. Bears feed all day only stopping for an hour or so around 2pm. gun)

I saw a big boar Friday!!! 225 yards off the road. Gun was unloaded, cased and crammed behind the seat. The bear was just off a main road on private property. I watched it for 20 minutes. Come to find out, I could have taken the bear from that property................... Oh well,

Went out Saturday evening for a few hours, No bears but lots of Blacktails and Elk.

Nice to hear there is a few out already. Go get 'em.gun) I doubt that there are bears out here yet though. It'll be another month before it's good.

Any body try this?

Bear Crack Recipe Ingredients: Marshmallows, powdered Jell-O mix, syrup and
granular sugar

1) Fill up a decent-sized pan, one that your wife or girlfriend is not going
to need back I might add, about halfway with marshmallows. Dump in a half a
package of powdered Jell-O mix; add a quart of syrup and a pound or so of
sugar.

2) Set pan on a single burner propane stove and bring to a slow boil. Stir
occasionally
while letting the Bear Crack boil. The sweet smelling smoke emitted from
this concoction then wafts through the timber and pulls all those big bear
in like they were on a string. This is some good stuff and once the bears
are hooked, look out. Sometimes there is very little you can do to keep them
from coming to the bait whether you're ready for 'em or not.

3) Just for those special occasions, we also have a separate pan to fry up
some bacon while at the bait and then dip it in the Bear Crack. We called
this candied bacon and oh boy, we only do this if there is somebody
available to serve sentry. Those big ol' ornery boars can only stand so much
before they just up and decide to crash the baiting party.

4) After the Bear Crack has boiled for about five minutes or so, we dump the
liquefied mixture onto dog food, nearby stumps or anything else in the area
that we don't mind whether it gets torn up or not.

To speed up my baits or if I don't have the time to set up bait ahead of time, I'll fire up my coleman stove with two pounds of bacon in a pan and let it simmer. The bears come walking in with their noses in the air, looking for the tasty bacon. If no bears come that evening, I dump the bacon and grease on the ground or a stump. Next night do it again, same time same thing. I've never went more than two nights without having one investigate. Good location is important though.

The only problem with it is if a sow with cubs comes in, or a smaller boar you don't wish to shoot. I make noice and scare them away, so they don't destroy my coleman. And I dig a hole to put my stove in, so I don't start a fire.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts