Who's Gearing up for Colorado?

Re: Who\'s Gearing up for Colorado?

Dave King,

I will waive to you as I pass you on the highway going the other way. I am heading to Maryland (Dorchester County) to go Sika Deer hunting during their early muzzleloader season (Oct 16-18). We have about 1800 acrea that borders the Blackwater Wildlife Refuge. I am meeting up with my father and two younger brothers.

Matt

Dave, on your way down I-25 past Pueblo stop in and I'll buy you guys lunch or whatever. Just take the Abriendo exit, get in the right lane, and go until the road T's into a circle. My house is the white one that you'd drive right into if you didn't turn at the T. You can see it from way down Abriendo, 2 minutes from the interstate. Man oh man, i'd love to talk long-range with you and friends. Got a bighorn i took with my XP i'd like to show you as well. Give me a call @ 719-542-5725, or e-mail me.

P.S. Love to talk about crabbin' on the bay, and my old stomping grounds around Glen Burnie. Or maybe chuck shooting in Western MD.

[ 09-09-2003: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

[ 09-09-2003: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

Matt

Good luck over there... watch out for the skeeters.

sscoyote

I believe I may try to hook up...I'm a high-speed type traveler and I know I'm going to be hauling *** to get to camp on Friday evening. I'll give it a try one way or the other.

REMEMBER PICTURES YOU GUYS, I WANNA SEE LOTS OF PICTURES POSTED HERE AFTER THE SEASON. The picture postings from last year were great. Lets make this the best year yet for pictures. Possible topics are: your rifle system, the view from your shooting spot, any game animals you harvest, ect... These pictures are gonna help those of us who can't make it this year. Thanks a bunch in advance.

We are heading out to Maybell, CO for the November 1st. We are driving from FLORIDA!
shocked.gif
Im taking my 300RUM with the leopold 6.5X20X50 Long range scope. Hopefully it will be a success. This is my first time out west. Anything I should know about?

Making final prep for the trip... I leave Maryland (15 Oct 2003) Wednesday morning heading west on US70.

Decided to take the 308 Win and 6.5 x 284... loaded some 165 Ballistic Tips for the 308 and some 140 GameKings for the 6.5 x 284... I'll take along a few match loads too just in case I catch too much grief about using poorly selected hunting bullets.

Camping for 3 days at just under 10,000 ft (one elevation line under 10,000 so about 9,800ft) gonna sleep in the back of the truck or in a small two-man tent depending on conditions. We'll send the next three days staying in a motel and hunting a different area then off for a short visit and head back to home.

Dave, when/if you get into Pueblo, give me a call--719-542-5725. I have to work Fri. night at 8 pm., but other than that i start 6 days off Wed. Maybe we can hook up.

[ 10-15-2003: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

Sorry... didn't get to visit anyone but this is more the standard Dave King High Speed travel scenario many of you are familiar with.

The Hunt (notice I didn't say "elk hunt").

I had a blast, mostly due to having my wife along... this was the first hunt in many years that she has come along and I really enjoyed it. I met a fine bunch of folks in the Manassa, Colorado area and the weather was beautiful (for sun bathing and swimming but not hunting). It was mid 70's or better during the days and nights were near freezing (10,000 ft ASL). We camped the first three (3) days then stayed in the "low lands" 7,800 ft ASL at a motel and hunted a few "flat tops" and river areas. Little side note: The fella at the motel insisted I was given the incorrect "military rate" of $42.00 per night down from $60 something when I checked in... he stated "the new girl got the price wrong"!!! He insisted on giving us the commercial rate of $38.00 per night as we were "hunters"! I was fairly shocked... not at the $4.00 difference (lesser price) but that he insisted on the commercial rate for hunters...nice fella and the motel was nice and fairly well booked.

Mike Montoya, my host got a nice 5x5 elk bull one day while we were in the low lands, several others got cows and Cheryl and I saw not a single elk...lots of mule deer and antelope but not one elk.. Here's a kicker... I'm going back again next year and have already stated planning.... new larger tent, short driving lesson for backing in wooded areas (I have a new dent in my rear bumper), and augment driving lesson for rocky terrain (I have a dent and minor bend in the transmission/transfer case cross member, I brought the offending rock home and have it imprisoned in the front yard), I'll remember to bring an industrial size bottle of SUNSCREEN, add one spotting scope and portable chair(s), pack and "extra" globe for the Coleman lantern.

The area was "dry", dust that gets into everything "dry". We carried water with us everywhere and were careful when we spit (to clear the dust from out mouth and throat) so as not to be trampled by the critters comming to the wet spot to lick up the moisture. I've only been to a couple of dustier/drier places, northern Texas during a drought and in the middle east.

Sorry you didn't get one Dave-- maybe next year. i doubt you'll like this update much since it's a little late-- the moisture's finally rolled into the state and we're getting snow in the high country, so i guess 4th season will work ok this year for us-- we'll see. Maybe you can stop by Pueblo next year I hope.

Hello Dave

Looks like your ready for a good time in the mountains of Colorado.
Sounds like you have prepared yourself for about any weather change and that's good.
I doubt that you will see any nasty stuff though.

We strive for the white stuff and go during the 3rd season in hopes of getting it.

If all goes to plan, my wife and I will be heading to the western slope near Glenwood and Aspen for our annual hunting trip the 24th or 25th of Oct. Our season starts the 1st of Nov.

We meet 4 friends from California who camp a few miles from us and we also meet a resident ex outfitter who hunts the third season as we do, with his family. He camps about two miles from us.
Both groups have killed game at extreme range off my rifles and we meet every year at the same spot.

We will be going out 1 week before the season opens (Nov 1) and set up camp and just enjoy the area without ANYONE being around within miles of us. It's extremely isolated and we also look for game in the bigeyes in those days preceding the hunt.

Our trip out consists of my Dodge diesel loaded down with longrange equipment, food and hunting clothes and I also pull a tarp covered trailer which has the tent, coal, stove, generator, dry wood to build fires, extra fuel, the 4 wheeler if needed to pack out any game when the horses are not there, cots, sleeping bags, extra water and so on.
We travel out by way of route 80 instead of 70 which has more cities and congestion to go through.
I will be taking the 338/416 Rigby, the 300 Tamahawk, a carry LR lighter weight rifle in the 7/300 Weatherby with a bipod and 30" barrel and also my 280 Mountain rifle.

When we get out to Glenwood and before we head back into the rugged area we stop in town for any food items that we didn't pack in the ice chests. We also get our bull elk tags and check at the game commission office for any left over buck tags.

We then drive out to where the pave road ends and the worst muddy road ever thought of, starts.
Before we leave the paved small road, the extra large heavy duty chains are put on all 4 wheels. The mud there is the worst I have ever seen and the road going back 7 miles is straight off and a long way down if one were to go over the side.

Once we reach our camping area which is at 7500 feet elevation, the work starts and the tent is set and all equipment set up inside that we will need. A fire is built and it never goes out the entire trip. It's so warm in that military Arctic tent, I usually run around inside in my underwear when the temp drops to zero. Set up takes about one to two hours to do it right.

From the area we set up camp which is in the middle of large jack pines, I have a longrange spot that is hidden from anyone seeing us and we can leave our equipment set up all season if we want to. The shooting we have at that spot is fantastic and its about 75 yards from the tent. Shooting out to any range we want.

Our most popular shooting spot however, is about 2 miles further out and we normally drive there instaed of staying near the camp during most of the season. We have a spot out there that you can look all around you 360 degrees and see as far as you could ever shoot a rifle and there is usually game in every area we look.

Once were set up and back in, we don't come out till after the one week season is over. That means if we get in there 4 or 5 days before the season we are there at least 12 days without coming back to civilization.

I think my wife likes the camping as much as hunting. I like it to.

The big cats we hear at night make the tent walls seem paper thin and a much firmer hold on the rifle near the cot, seems to be in order. I have taken hold of it when the critters get to close.

We have seen a Grizzly in that area two years ago.

So I guess the answer to your question----Who is headed to Colorado? would be, Carol and Darryl are planning for it as the 13th or 14 th year in a row now.
I painted the trailor the other day, greased the wheel bearings, cleaned it out and we will be packing it up about a week before we leave.

Good luck on your hunt to Colorado Dave and Steve E.
Do 300 gr Match Kings kill game Steve?????????? I didn't know that? Come on Match Kings on game???
You bet---Best **** bullet ever devised for hunting.

Later
DC
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ 09-03-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]