Who's a Sniper?

A few months ago i was in my buddies gun shop he is an excellant shooter himself. A guy walks in in with a shirt saying some military sniper school. Of couse i had to ask if he was a sniper and of course he said yes. Me and my buddy started picking his brain on the mil. system which either one of us knows little about. He was total bambozled on our second question and first question was if he used the mil syatem. In fact he was actually starring in space than left. See what you mean by the wannabe's.

Newsflash: Without ever firing a shot, they already took over the Whitehouse. They're looking to control our small arms. And, they're putting a heck of a dent in my ability to afford the sport that I love.

Interesting thread, of the members on the site I would say the actucal # of snipers both military and law enforcement is fairly small. There are quite a number of long range riflemen here but while they would have at a time of invasion the nobelest of intentions I believe it would be short lived due to lack of fieldcraft and training / experience in counter military operations. Most people never give thought to counter bombing techniques and large ordnance response to a sniper threat. Of course there is the natural response of a counter sniper being brought to bear against them, someone who has fieldcraft, knows what to look for, experience, and a desire to eliminate a sniper (you) as their highest priority. I like living in a nation and being a member of a site that has people that think, if push came to shove how would I help my fellow americans survive even if at my own cost. It makes me proud to be an american!

additionally ; i feel fortunate that i can afford rifles with an ability to shoot 1000 yards accurately. the ammo to become proficient on my own. and the freedom to do so. whether the threat is met with an A-10, F-15 or model 94 it would be a high price in my opinion also.

Interesting thread, of the members on the site I would say the actucal # of snipers both military and law enforcement is fairly small. There are quite a number of long range riflemen here but while they would have at a time of invasion the nobelest of intentions I believe it would be short lived due to lack of fieldcraft and training / experience in counter military operations. Most people never give thought to counter bombing techniques and large ordnance response to a sniper threat. Of course there is the natural response of a counter sniper being brought to bear against them, someone who has fieldcraft, knows what to look for, experience, and a desire to eliminate a sniper (you) as their highest priority. I like living in a nation and being a member of a site that has people that think, if push came to shove how would I help my fellow americans survive even if at my own cost. It makes me proud to be an american!

I totally agree with Shawn, there is a ton more to being a real sniper than shooting far. I'm sure after a few shots I would be quickly dispatched by real soldiers. I would just do my best to make those few shots count.

This thing has got way off base. Nobody is trying to compare us hunters to a military sniper. The guy ask how many on here could shoot 3/4 moa or better at over 800 yards. He considers that to be a sniper and he is correct. Not a trained military sniper but certainly a target sniper. That kind of accuracy will take out a human size target with one shot at long range therefore would be a sniper. That person in the right position could take out a lot of civilian targets. There are civilian snipers and military snipers trained to do different things. swat team snipers are trained for different situations than military snipers. These guys would not fare well in a military atmosphere but are very good as civilian snipers and are definitely snipers. Trained to take out one hostile target in a hostage situation or similar. He doesn't have to worry about the army coming after him later. But he is still a sniper. As many of us on here could be with swat training.

That is how the Russian military felt about the lowly Afghan militia. They were outnumbered and outgunned by superior firepower and technology. gun)

One more point and I will say no more. In Vietnam, a civilian took out an Intruder pilot, flying low on his way back from a bomb run, with an un-scoped junk rifle. Rare but the point is, with the will to fight, a regular guy can be a real pain in the *** and if he is willing to sacrifice his life, he can possibly make a big difference in a war just like some untrained Afghan's did. gun)

I was shooting with some snipers the day I shot my best group ever at 1000 yds. It was a 5 shot group that measured 4.040" at 1000yds
Whether this qualifies me as a sniper I don't know but the gun I was using was made by Spencer Rifles chambered in a 300 Weatherby with a .339 neck using MRP powder pushing a 240gr SMK at 2750fps

I don't claim to be a sniper because I can punch holes yet what I have found is I lack most of the skills that are required to be one.

I was a sniper years ago, best job I had in the Army. Since then I have been given the opportunity to also work with Law enforcement snipers in the capacity of attending their courses. In my off time I love to hit the range with my 700 Sendero in 300 win mag, as well as being an avid big game hunter. I have found that police snipers and hand loaders have one thing in common, they love to just shoot tiny little groups at 100 yards. When I was a sniper in the Army our marksmanship focused on ensuring we could consistently shoot within a minute of haji. The rest of the job is based on improving TTP's, SOP's, and being a PT stud.

garciaaron said:
When I was a sniper in the Army our marksmanship focused on ensuring we could consistently shoot within a minute of haji.

Minute of haji I love it! That's about a 5'7"-6' group right?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.