Who weighs their brass? what tolerance

G

Just wondering how many of you guys weigh you cases and how much do you give them either way to keep them in the same batch.
A buddy just dropped off 500 pieces of Win brass to be used for load developement for a 6mm-06 , he said he wanted them match preped (I told him to just get Lapua)
So I've necked down , trimmed , debured , debured primer pocked and recut them all uniform and cleaned up the necks so their all the same now I was about to start weighing them and was wondering how much variance they should have.

Its a shame that hes apying me to do all this and it would have been cheaper to use Lapua and its better brass!!! I guess some folks just see the upfront cost

Thanks for any help

When I used to weigh brass it was tolerances of .5

however I have done away with weighing brass and I have gone to measuring bullets ( ogive to base ) and weighing them with a tolerance of .1-.2 the weighing and measurinf have proven to be more of a variable in accuracy than weighing brass...

I used to weigh brass to + or - .03 of a gr. The key word being used to. I am convinced that if the neck is turned to true it up, the primer pockets uniformed and the flash hole deburred is not that as important as other issues. Unless the weight spread is huge, case weight (IMHO)is not neraly as important as the loaded round having very little (.002") or less runout and the bullet being consistent in weight (+ or - .01 of a gr.) and the base to ogive dimension (+ or - .002"). Case in point, I have a lot of 76 pieces of 260 Remington brass that I culled from my match brass becasue of weight that were either real light or real heavy with nothing in between. These 76 pieces of brass are about equal in number between the heavy pieces (164.9 gr.)and the light (160.3 gr.) pieces. This lot of brass has an extreme weight spread of 4.6 grains. With all other prep work done to it like the rest of the brass. I develop my match loads in this brass, and it good loads in this brass I culled due to weight will shoot .5 MOA or less with the loads the rifle likes. I trust it enough to develop my match loads in this brass.

RiverRat

I weigh 'em. Standard benchrest procedure. Whether it makes a huge difference or a small difference, it still matters if you're after precision. If all your doing is shooting Bambi, then don't worry about it unless your a perfectionist like me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Yes, He could have saved you and himself lots of headache by buying Lapua, but you are right, some people just think about up front cost!
As far as tolerance goes, you should be readjusting it depending on size of case. 223's=.3 grain, 300 ulra=1 grain is good. Incidentally, this applies to powder charge increases obviously. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

J.Jones,
Dont weigh them after you have prepped them, cos they will all be different. There is no way you can determine the exact amount of material that you have removed during prepping. When i shot benchrest, i did it because it was the done thing and i seggrigated my batches of 200 Lapua 220 russian brass, by 1/10th of a grain increments until i ended up with a number of perfectly weighed cases to be used as my competition casses, the rest were bagged up and put aside. After prepping i found that these cases no longer weighed the same so i scratched my head wondering if it was worth.I think that if you are striving for ultimate accuracy weigh em, but give yourself a wide tolerence so as to weed out the cases that are at the extreme ends of your parametres. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

J Jones ,
I have simply divided Winchester .243 brass into 3 groups , heavy , medium and light . Weigh 30 cases to work out average . Set scales so that average weight reads centre of scale . Heavy runs off the top of the scale , light runs off the bottom .
This has given similar tolerance to my Lapua brass - 1.6 gns difference from heaviest in the group to lightest from memory . This is good enough for 5 shot groups into .325 without neck turning in an 8 pound rifle off a bipod .

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.