Who uses a bino/rangefinder?

hidesert

About 15 years ago I bought Pentax 8x42 WCF binoculars and have been extremely pleased with them. This was back when phase coating was fairly new and I was blown away with their optics compared to my Steiners not to mention that they have never fogged up like my Steiners did. A couple years later I bought a Bushnell Yardage Pro Legend and it has served well for my minimal rangefinding needs out to 600 yards.

Lately I've been contemplating combining the two for convenience. One route would be something like the apparently discontinued but still available Swarovski Laser Guide. Reviewers rave about the optics but it would be a 8x30 monocular (I should mention that 8 power is the maximum I can hold steady with one hand which is my criteria for a hunting optic). 3D is very valuable for finding game in cover. Cost is a consideration and the Laser Guide can be had for less than $850. Another route would be to go for the Leica Geovid HD-R 8x42. This would give a top notch optic combined with excellent rangefinding well exceeding my needs. This I have found for approximately twice the price of the Swarovski Laser Guide. That would be a stretch for me financially.

Would anyone like to comment? I don't need the best optics - just as good as I currently have in the Pentax. Likewise I don't need the best rangefinding - just out to 600-700 yards reliably would be fine.

My hunting partner uses the Bushnell range finding binoculars and he likes them . They're not the best available but that work well for the price.

You don't say whether you want a Ballistic solver built in or not, So I would suggest any of the Bushnell PLRF's, I have owned the G-Force and the New ConX and I must admit the horizontal styling of the ConX is much better to use and it is a very clever piece of kit, if you don't want all the features that the ConX offers then the Normal 1 Mile ARC version would really fit the bill and give you enough power in reserve,

Hope that helps,

John.

About 15 years ago I bought Pentax 8x42 WCF binoculars and have been extremely pleased with them. This was back when phase coating was fairly new and I was blown away with their optics compared to my Steiners not to mention that they have never fogged up like my Steiners did. A couple years later I bought a Bushnell Yardage Pro Legend and it has served well for my minimal rangefinding needs out to 600 yards.

Lately I've been contemplating combining the two for convenience. One route would be something like the apparently discontinued but still available Swarovski Laser Guide. Reviewers rave about the optics but it would be a 8x30 monocular (I should mention that 8 power is the maximum I can hold steady with one hand which is my criteria for a hunting optic). 3D is very valuable for finding game in cover. Cost is a consideration and the Laser Guide can be had for less than $850. Another route would be to go for the Leica Geovid HD-R 8x42. This would give a top notch optic combined with excellent rangefinding well exceeding my needs. This I have found for approximately twice the price of the Swarovski Laser Guide. That would be a stretch for me financially.

Would anyone like to comment? I don't need the best optics - just as good as I currently have in the Pentax. Likewise I don't need the best rangefinding - just out to 600-700 yards reliably would be fine.

I would combine the two, having a set of range finding binoculars is handy. I've used the leica geovids and the swarovski el range, and am currently testing the Vortex fury, I'll tell you it's very convenient having the two units in one package.

I have a pair of Leica Geovid HD-B's, 10x42. They were a lot of money, but I would go back and spend those dollars again in a heartbeat. It really simplifies things while I'm hunting. Already knowing the range really speeds up the decision-making process when I'm checking out a potential animal to harvest. One less piece of equipment to keep up with too.

I have a 10 x 42 Bushnell ARC 1 Mile rangefinder. Very good for the money but I want more!

So I'm selling the Bushnells (see then in "For Sale" here on LRH) to get a 10 42 Leica HD-B (the new 2200 model).

Afte a lot of research and in-store comparisons I find the Leicas to be absolutely the LRF binoculars. Swarovski is the next best but lacks most of Leica's ballistic solution features.

Eric B.

My first decent rangefinder was a Leica 8x40 Geovid. Had good success shooting game to 1000 yards. While I still use them for spotting and rough ranging, for my serious shooting I gravitated to the smaller ballistic RF's which I feel are easier to manage from a rifle mounted/prone position, particularly if the animal is moving around.

I had the Swaro Laser Guide rangefinder. Was not impressed. It wasn't particularly good past 500 yards.

Replaced it with the Leica HD-B 10x42 binoculars. Better than the Laser Guide (effective range is about 1000 yards) and it has built in ballistics calculator.

The Leicas are the best all in one bino/rangefinder solution right now.

If I didn't want an all-in one, I'd get a Sig Kilo 2400.

I run a separate system, el 12x50s, kilo, and a kestrel. Personally I never really fell in love with the RF binoculars, I had a set of EL ranges for a while, but I like the separate system better.

I'd be careful with the leicas, they have had a lot of issues and the CS sucks..

Since I am happy with the performance of the gear I have, and am only looking for more convenience, I am going to try to come up with a better place to carry the rangefinder - either velcro or a pocket high near my left shoulder.

I have a 10 x 42 Bushnell ARC 1 Mile rangefinder. Very good for the money but I want more!

So I'm selling the Bushnells (see then in "For Sale" here on LRH) to get a 10 42 Leica HD-B (the new 2200 model).

Afte a lot of research and in-store comparisons I find the Leicas to be absolutely the LRF binoculars. Swarovski is the next best but lacks most of Leica's ballistic solution features.

Eric B.
Have you tried the fury's?

I use range finding binos and would not go back to not having them. A word of warning a lot of the Bushnell and other cheaper models advertised range is on reflective surfaces not deer. If it were me I would lean toward some model of the Leicas. They have this game down pat and great glass. As I say this I my self own the Zeiss 10x45's but would trade them for the Leicas in a heartbeat. Go try some out but beware about what I said of the cheaper ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts