Who Removes the Stock when Cleaning?

I, most of the time, take the stock off every rifle I clean. I put the recoil lug in a padded vice, remove the bolt and start cleaning. if you have a bedded rifle then just wipe the insides down with a cloth and dry. nothing bad should ever come from this.
as a rule, wood stocks should not be exposed to clean solvents and some oils.

I remove and clean the underside. If your gun is properly bedded, it shouldn't make any difference. I have not noticed and changes in accuracy since I started messing around with firearms since the late 60s.

Exactly my sentiment as well. Hence why I'm asking the question to see what some more experience folks do. Thanks for the responses. For those of you that remove the stock, do you pay close attention to torq on the action screws to try and get them to the same torq prior to removal? Do you ever see a shift in POI after removing and reinstalling a stock? I don't even like the thought of risking it but also don't like the thought of dirt and debris building up in there... let alone rust. Thanks!

So what is the recommended torque for action screws (wood and synthetic)? I tried searching the forum before but didn't run across much other than leave the center action screw "loose" (win 70) and slowly tighten the other screws while shooting for group. I don't believe I ran across something hard and fast with numbers.

I always check the mfr recommendation on action screws. Since I recently started actually cleaning my rifle, I've been pulling the stocks cuz even with a bore guide I cant help but get a mess everywhere.

Don't be skeered. If cleaning is necessary then by all means clean it.
If ur rifle is bedded properly when u put it back together and re torque it, it will shoot just fine. Even if a click or so is needed to re zero ( which is unlikely) ur back in business.

I seldom remove the stock . I use a bore guide , and a stokboot to try and protect everything from solvents , and gunk .

P4090519.JPG

There are plenty here that can guide you better than me. No Wins, but on my old Rems I generally run about 40 in lb front and 25 rear. I tested grouping and got best results there. On mine, tighter front, slightly less tight rear is best. Mine are not pillar bedded.

For wood or epoxy bedded rifles (not so much for actions directly bedded into metal), repeatedly removing and inserting the action from/into the stock will wear on the mating surfaces, and you will eventually ruin your tight fitting bedding job.

Consequently, I remove the stock for cleaning only if there is a specific problem that needs to be addressed, such as I was hunting in the rain, the gun was dropped and dirt was pushed in between the stock and the action, etc. It is not a routine part of my cleaning procedure, and seems to me to be unnecessary and potentially detrimental.

I guess if you call hunting driving to a ridge or field and setting up as though you were in a competition "hunting" then by all means preserve the integrity of your rifle by not disassembling it. On the other hand if you subject it to Tamarack needles, sand, snow, rain, or any other inclement condition you would be well served by cleaning your rifle thoroughly. IHMO

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.