Who Removes the Stock when Cleaning?

Full Curl

Is it recommend to ever remove the stock when cleaning a hunting rifle? I have everything from factory models to full custom builds. All of my rifles have been bedded and I usually just use the air compressor and blow out the area where the barrel/action and stock meet as best I can. I take care of them and don't ever let them get poured on or dropped in the mud but I know debris, dust, and whatever else probably accumulates in there.

I like the idea of keeping the underside of the barrel and action nice and clean, but I hate the idea of reinstalling it and messing with action screw torq and possibly changing POI.

If I dropped it in a creek, I would obviously remove the stock and do a complete wipe-down cleaning, but what about for normal hunting use? Do you ever remove the stock for cleaning and how often? Thanks.

I almost always remove the stock when cleaning... just because I can, I suppose. I usually clean after an extended hunt, end of season, or after exposure to bad weather. I HATE CORROSION, so I want to remove all moisture and dirt and remove any possibility of rust.

Last edited:
I almost always remove the stock whe cleaning... just because I can, I suppose. I usually clean after an extended hunt, end of season, or after exposure to bad weather. I HATE CORROSION, so I want to remove all moisture and dirt and remove any possibility of rust.

this is what I do as well. My hunting rifles pretty much always see the rain snow and dirt, not that I'm abusive but they are a tool to me. So I always remove the stock and clean and oil everything every time when I get back from a hunting trip. But I also clean the underside of my truck when I get back to so maybe I am kinda ocd.

Yep....dirt and water can go down between the sides of the action and barrel....after season pulled part and cleaned...
Always time to shoot in better weather....but huntin' is huntin'....unless it's pouring.....then a nap sounds really good......:)

Perhaps I'm odd man out, but once I get my rifles shooting the way I want them to, I'm loath to mess with the bedding system unless there has been excessive exposure to water or dust/dirt. I'm meticulous about keeping the exposed parts clean, protected, and maintained.

Exactly my sentiment as well. Hence why I'm asking the question to see what some more experience folks do. Thanks for the responses. For those of you that remove the stock, do you pay close attention to torq on the action screws to try and get them to the same torq prior to removal? Do you ever see a shift in POI after removing and reinstalling a stock? I don't even like the thought of risking it but also don't like the thought of dirt and debris building up in there... let alone rust. Thanks!

For any type of precision shooting, even when using the same bedding screw torque settings and sequence, it would be very wise to confirm zero after removing the stock. Not always, but frequently enough ai have had to re-adjust the zero.
I take mine apart and clean also, bedded actions but spruce and fir needles as well as debris do get down under the barrel and water or condensation can start rust. I try to torque the same but sometimes it moves POI or maybe a bump against the scope may alter something. After cleaning the next spring I shoot to check it, most of the time its still dead on but sometimes it takes a click or two. Crazy cause I'm kinda ocd about bumping or banging my gun or scope, climbing into treestands or hitting limbs is the worst. Dave

Take you gun apart and clean as needed. Put it back in the stock and make sure action is seated in stock by holding the barrel up and tap the butt on the floor or table and torque the screws. If it moves more than a 1/4" something is wrong and needs fixing.
I hunt coyotes and wolves in the winter and have to clean my guns here in Montana.

I get poi will change this concerns me too but more so with group size changing after stock removal.
I agree with you, my guns are all bedded and fit pretty tight with the lug fitting right snug in the bedding. More times than not my gun shoots the same after cleaning and putting back together. When it doesn't I usually suspect it got banged going up and down out of trees. I would shoot my gun before season even if I hadn't had the stock off, to be sure.

I take mine apart and clean also, bedded actions but spruce and fir needles as well as debris do get down under the barrel and water or condensation can start rust. I try to torque the same but sometimes it moves POI or maybe a bump against the scope may alter something. After cleaning the next spring I shoot to check it, most of the time its still dead on but sometimes it takes a click or two. Crazy cause I'm kinda ocd about bumping or banging my gun or scope, climbing into treestands or hitting limbs is the worst. Dave

Before torquing it down set the gun on the butt stock and a slight tap downward to seat it against the stop then in the down on butt torque it down th correct specs it should be correctly seated

Don't be skeered. If cleaning is necessary then by all means clean it.
If ur rifle is bedded properly when u put it back together and re torque it, it will shoot just fine. Even if a click or so is needed to re zero ( which is unlikely) ur back in business.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.