Who removes scopes to maximize safe capacity?

User_name

My collection of long guns with large scopes is growing at a faster pace than my safe can manage. Does anyone remove their scopes and store them separately from rifles in order to fit more in the safe? I'm considering this as I don't shoot most of the rifles very often.

Thoughts? Also, I guess this is my first post so I'll say "Thanks for all I've gleaned off this site already"!

Steve in Oregon

^^^^ This. You can stack them closer together without scuffing them up with the socks on them.

The problem is really big safe can be weight issue, so my recommendation is to give me your FFL info and I'd be happy to "store" them for you. Please include ammo, dies, components so you have all what you need in one place. Just all around helpful nice guy.

My collection of long guns with large scopes is growing at a faster pace than my safe can manage. Does anyone remove their scopes and store them separately from rifles in order to fit more in the safe? I'm considering this as I don't shoot most of the rifles very often.

Thoughts? Also, I guess this is my first post so I'll say "Thanks for all I've gleaned off this site already"!

Steve in Oregon
I found the best way for me to open up space in my safe was to remove all my non-sentimental guns worth less than 500.00 each and put them in a cheap gun safe in my reloading room. It holds 10 scoped rifles but isn't fireproof and not very secure. Homak thin steel lightweight safe. It's more of a decoy safe. If someone gets in when I'm not home, it's the safe they'll settle on trying to get into vs my Huge Cannon 40 gun safe. No way they'd breech that one fast enough to make it worth their time. I can afford to lose a few cheaper guns.

From a fishing buddy. Seems like you have a similar problem.

Attachments

• 9866B840-8BD3-4828-B3B3-11B19F924E83.jpeg
    9866B840-8BD3-4828-B3B3-11B19F924E83.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 86
I do this all the time - take off scopes, put guns in socks, then pack them in tight. I use mostly picatinny type bases and a tune-up, sight-in usually takes only 2-3 rounds and I would need to do this anyways before going off on some urgent mission. Critical use rifles are kept at the front of safe for immediate deployment in the event of some unexpected and large scale rodent incursion.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts