Who remembers the Herter's Catalog?

Cabelas is currently advertising and selling Herters shotgun shells. I bought a couple of flats of steel shot and the box actually states "Made in USA". They pattern extremely well in both my waterfowl shotguns.

Cabelas is currently advertising and selling Herters shotgun shells. I bought a couple of flats of steel shot and the box actually states "Made in USA". They pattern extremely well in both my waterfowl shotguns.
There's another retailer selling Herter's apparel, decoys, ammo and other Herter named products. Not sure if it's the same Herter's or not.

I can remember sitting with the catalogs and filling out the order form with everything and hoping to have enough cash to order it all.
Generally not even close with the cash.
Photo is a 1971-72 catalog last one I received before leaving for the navy.
Seems like everything changed after that.

Attachments

• IMG_20201214_142515324.jpg
    IMG_20201214_142515324.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20201214_142631388.jpg
    IMG_20201214_142631388.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
I have a few keepsakes myself. I always find it interesting to pick up the old manuals to see what the "New Discoveries " of the era have been tried, then forgotten. I have never seen these actual cartridges, but would love to see them over todays chronographs

20201214_171233.jpg
20201214_170712.jpg
20201214_170712.jpg20201214_171233.jpg

Have shot some of there rifle shells back in the 70's, good stuff, I remember very well the big catalogs you'd receive yearly and make your wishlist with and then figure out how long you'd have to save up to send your order in to have by hunting season, things moved a little slower then and 350 yds was a long shot and ballistics was a missile used by the military, lol, can't say everything's improved with the passing years, thanks for jogging the old memory banks Len

Yes remember them well. Would have to dig but pretty sure we still have an old catalog. Still have some of their brass and dies. My brother has a rifle that we call grandma herters. It's a 300 wm. I'd have to ask him if the whole rifle came from them or just the stock. Good memories and simpler times. Merry Christmas everyone and Happy New Year.

We purchased a lot of different products from Herter's. Their duck decoys were excellent. I gave a dozen of them to the neighbor boys last year to start them off duck hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.