Who remembers the Herter's Catalog?

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I was just reminded of it by a small reference while re-reading a Travis Mcgee novel, first published in1968, where the hero is wearing "Herter's Two-Point woodsman shoes, made of oiled hand treated bull hide, worn to a condition as flexible as an Eskimo wife".

Share with us what you remember about the Herter's Outdoorsman's Catalog.

For those of you too young to know what I'm talking about, I am sad for your misfortune.

I know that they had their own line of recurve bows designed, by a guy named Bob Barrie. Way underpriced. Not my bows :>(
1607954278549.png

When shopping for everything hunting or shooting you always knew you had the best because they let us know that if it was Herter's it was the best. They had their name on almost everything. LOL.
I remember a few times when myself and 3 other guys would save up our money, write up our want list, take a VW minivan and drive hours to Herter's, buy all we could and drive back home. Elated !
Thanks for the memories.
Be safe, be well, be thankful.

We had the last Herters outlet here in MN closed maybe 30ish years ago. To go in and see boxes of their cork decoys was like a glimpse into heaven. They were down to mostly waterfowl stuff by then, but I always thought that was their strong point. Prior, they did have EVERYTHING. I still have a Herters rifle.

I've spent many , many hours going thru those catalogs. Always loved it when a new one showed up. Still have a Herters double press and lots of reloading equipment. Still have a 1898 30-40 Krag in a " semi-inletted sporter stock " I bought and finished from Herters. Very nicely grained Walnut. Miss them.

Loved Herters. I actually still have one of the old Catalogues. The selection of stuff they carried was truly amazing and the product descriptions were true works of art. The good old days when the States had no export restrictions and we could buy guns, ammo or whatever else with no paper work.

I've spent many , many hours going thru those catalogs. Always loved it when a new one showed up. Still have a Herters double press and lots of reloading equipment. Still have a 1898 30-40 Krag in a " semi-inletted sporter stock " I bought and finished from Herters. Very nicely grained Walnut. Miss them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201214-105931.png
    Screenshot_20201214-105931.png
    492.1 KB · Views: 50
I was just reminded of it by a small reference while re-reading a Travis Mcgee novel, first published in1968, where the hero is wearing "Herter's Two-Point woodsman shoes, made of oiled hand treated bull hide, worn to a condition as flexible as an Eskimo wife".

Share with us what you remember about the Herter's Outdoorsman's Catalog.

For those of you too young to know what I'm taking about, I am sad for for your misfortune.
I own a set of their dies for a 22-250 that I inherited from my neighbors wife when he died plus the heavy barreled 700 Remington to go with them. David

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts