Who reloads scirocco 2 for 3006

Dhammer, the factory Remington scirocco in 150 gr. 3006 shoots real good. ( in my vanguard )
I measured my lands to bolt and these bullets have a .090" jump and at 80 yards they expand like a champ when it hits shoulder and bones , when you want a blood trail.

So I would rather load them myself or the accubonds ? The ABs have a narrow diameter mushroom compared to the scirocco.

I'm looking at a lot further then 80 yards. I'm getting ready to do load work up for AB's, Berger VLD's, maybe the Sierra's because I have them and was toying with the Scirocco's being in the mix. I'll be looking at accuerarcy at range. Then set it up so we can see what expansion looks like at, at the further distances before I make my mind up. Since costs are associated I can't try every combo I'd love to sadly.

I have read that a lot of people have a hard time with accuracy reloading the scirocco , but I think they might be seating a little too close.

This is the first year using the scirocco, 80 yards was the only distance so far.

Attachments

• 20141231_173406.jpg
    20141231_173406.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 124
In 2013 I made the same shot and distance with a 150 gr power shok 3006 and had a small exit, the buck went down about 15 yards away, if he hadn't, I wouldn't have had a blood trail to follow.

That doe went down right there.

I've been very lucky with slug, muzzleloader and bow. 98 percent are DOA in their tracks. I won't go into too many details but old moron on ATV who decided to chase the wounded monster buck almost was my second shot!!!! So yeah, no blood trails suck!!!! But doesn't help when ya have good blood, fresh snow and guy trespassing on snowmobile beats ya to your deer and steals it. Would love to meet him some day.

But that's why I'm being so methodical in my upcoming testing. I want to know what results are before I put one into an elk or deer next season. I want ro simulate bone, soft tissue etc. Looks like I should have it all done before we get too hot which means I can work up some homemade ballistic gellitan too and include that too.

10-4 D,
I've been hunting since I was a kid , but I've only been deer hunting since 2012 and never really thought about the science of ballistics , I just bought ammo and went hunting .

During this short time and my experiences , I've come to wise up quick.
This year I want to get the equipment to begin reloading , because quality control with ammo is horrible ! ( that's another story )

A 270 130gr power point went into the vitals behind the shoulder of an 8 pt. and never hit bone , going in or going out , tiny hole in, tiny hole out , hardly no expansion.
So now I take them in the shoulder with bonded bullets , my thought is to force the bullet to expand before it reaches bone so it will hit bone and tear some stuff up and drive on through.

The 150 gr 3006 scirocco bonded shows more energy down range than a typical soft point 150 gr with the same velocity.
With solid copper , they say the sectional density doesn't matter because it doesn't fragment and it retains more energy , so you can drop down in grain weight instead of using 165 to 200 gr.
Solid is longer than cup and core bullets.

I'm like you , I want a trail to follow for insurance.

I'll never know what angle I'll be presented with so for me I want something that's going to fragment a little , retain over half it's weight with a large mushroom and keep on pushing .

I bought some Barnes 7mm08 for my son and all the bullets can spin by hand inside the casing. (Two boxes )

Bullets seated at different depths with other brands, so yeah ! I want to learn how to roll my own !
Keep me posted with your research !

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.