Who reloads for their "rattle-guns"?

YZ-80

Hi All,

Tinkering around at the bench today prepping some 7.62 X 39 brass for my M70b1 (O-PAP) and my Yugo SKS. I have 500, 123 grain "Zombie Max" bullets and an extra pound of IMR 4198 hanging around, so I figured what the heck? I'll load em' at 24.0 grains.

I can actually eek out MOA @ 100 yds with the O-PAP, outfitted with my UTG quick detach rail mount and my "mall-ninja" Leapers scope. Not the most nobel of pursuits to be sure, but fun not to have to worry about such tight tolerances once in a while.

Anyone else reload for their rattle guns?

I load a bunch of 180g SST over IMR 4198 at 1,580 FPS for my 7.62x39 Century AK and have played around with some outlaw state 250g subs that met a coyote. I didn't find a load with IMR 4198 that would cycle and stay sub-sonic, but at $1.20 a bullet I didn't try more than the last 12 I had from a lot. It's a hoot to screw on the specwar can on the AK once in a while. Don't tell anyone I said that

I shoot any old junk out of my AK SBR, but I do reload for my AR-47 and 7.62x39 CZ bolt gun. H335 and CFE Black work well.

I load for my Yugo SKSs. Lapua cases (only reloadable cases I could find at the time), Rem. 9 1/2 primer, 29.0 grs H322 (This is a case full compressed load), Hornady 123 Soft Point, COAL 2.190 and I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die. The reason for the crimp die is that there is not much bullet base to hold it into the case. I use the crimp die to put a good crimp that holds the bullet snug. This is the most accurate load I have found for my SKSs by far. This Hornady SP bullet is also a pretty good bullet for deer. I have acquaintances that have used it very successfully at woods hunting distances, 50 or so yards max.

I load for my Yugo SKSs. Lapua cases (only reloadable cases I could find at the time), Rem. 9 1/2 primer, 29.0 grs H322 (This is a case full compressed load), Hornady 123 Soft Point, COAL 2.190 and I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die. The reason for the crimp die is that there is not much bullet base to hold it into the case. I use the crimp die to put a good crimp that holds the bullet snug. This is the most accurate load I have found for my SKSs by far. This Hornady SP bullet is also a pretty good bullet for deer. I have acquaintances that have used it very successfully at woods hunting distances, 50 or so yards max.

Yeah, I ended up with a 2.190" COL as well with the Zombie-Max, and it's got a cannelure so at that length, I'm pretty much roll crimping right into the center of it. Just using standard RCBS dies. I'm working primarily with Lapua cases (WLR Large Rifle Primers) as well, and some factory Winchester stuff I had on hand. The Yugo SKS really beats the hell out of the cases, as it ejects them with authority into the roof over the firing line but the Lapua stuff is pretty tough and definitely worth retrieving. I wonder if anyone makes a brass catcher?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.