Who makes warm boots?

The trick to warm feet is opposite of what most people think. LESS IS MORE in 90% of cases. People regularly over insulate their feet . That is a guarantee of cold feet. The trick is to not let your feet sweat , period. Socks are much more important than boots. You need a good wicking sock against your feet and a good wool sock over those. Its also critical to have breathing room in your boot WITH BOTH PAIRS of socks. Beyond that, get the minimum recommended insulation for the Temps you will encounter.
This advise was pounded into my head by reps in the boot business from danner, rocky, muck, Irish setter, etc etc when I was in the sporting goods business. It works !
Absolutely true. I fly fish in MT in the winter. The first time I went it was zero degrees F and got down to -7. I wore too thick wool socks and my feet were about as cold as they've ever been. Now, I make sure there is plenty of room in my wader boots. Still, if my feet sweat at all, they get cold but not frozen no matter what combination of socks I wear.

I have some Red Wing Irish Setters( I Think). Any way, I hunted in snow for several days and they kept my feet arm. They were only about $350.00. I've had for several years so I don't if they stil make them.

I've tried many different brands, and sadly, haven't found any that are good at walking long distance, and also good in bitter cold at keeping my feet warm. I use Rocky's that have lower 4 in. coated with liquid rubber waterproofing to help keep feet extra dry. I wear nylon knee socks inside heavy wool socks, toe warmers, and a thick wool sole liner in my boot. This combo helps me a lot.

Looking for a boot that will keep my feet warm at 30 dg F & lower. I'm OK with what I have down to about 35dg F. I can in-counter temps down to single digits. So what boot will handle these low temps?
Depends if you are walking or standing or sitting in a tree! Tight boots will always be cold! Wool is your friend and clean socks are a must! Most people over buy on the insulation and their feet sweat and then get cold. Wasn't till I was in my teens that I figured out less is more! As a prairie Canadian I know what cold is like, as you do. Leather with lining up to 400g is my go to in the sub zero. Once you get to -30° pac boots are the answer full felts and felt insole (Sorels or Baffin) not walking boots though. Head coverage is essential in cold weather. Toque (beanie) is great add a hood better! Less cold convection from your neck and head! Major blood flow in the area keep it warm you stay warm! If you start getting warm remove hood and beanie your head is a huge radiator you will cool down quickly. Just don't get sweated up it's a sure way to be cold and miserable. Another thing stay hydrated you expel a ton of moisture out your breath when it's -30 to -40° Make sure your boots are waterproofed as well. Took a buddy up Moose hunting and his feet were always cold boots needed waterproofing and he didn't tie them up his legs only to ankles pushed out a lot heat out the top that way! If you really want to find out start working construction in the winter you figure it out really quickly! 😉Good luck!

One other trick I have learned is putting a hand warmer on top of my head and then a hat. Really helps keep everything warm when you are stand hunting in super cold weather all day. If it gets too hot put it in between two hats. Can't say enough how much that helps.

One other trick I have learned is putting a hand warmer on top of my head and then a hat. Really helps keep everything warm when you are stand hunting in super cold weather all day. If it gets too hot put it in between two hats. Can't say enough how much that helps.
Not the best idea for hot headed individuals!🤣.

go online and order a pair of Artic Shield "boot covers" ( $25-$40). They weigh 8oz, will fit in your parka pocket, and are the warmest thing I have ever used. Been using them for years. Order a size larger than your boot size. The really great thing for me is that I can wear really light weight, uninsulated boots for walking, and when I get there just slip the boot covers on to keep my feet warm. And they have parkas, bibs, gloves etc. Best cold weather gear out there, IMO.

go online and buy a pair of Artic Shield boot clovers. 8 oz, fits in your pocket and super warm. I wear a non insulated pair of boots for walking, them slip the boot covers on when I stop to sit awhile. $25-40.Buy a size larger than your boot. These are the warmest thing I have come across. Shooting long range, we sit a lot. Artic Shield also has parkas, bibs, gloves and vests. I have all of them and it makes sitting outside in bitter weather a non issue.

I do a lot of cold weather activities, including duck and goose hunting, ice fishing etc. I found a compromise that works well for me.

I love the Sorels for warmth but I don't like the sheer bulk.
I'd love a pair of Schnee's but I can't swallow the price.

I bought a pair of naked AF/Military pack boots- no liners. N-1B's. I think I got them for $30 new off FleaBay.
There is a place where you can buy real honest to God wool boot liners AND a pair of wool sole inserts. Varying thicknesses. About $75 I think I paid for both.

Lightweight, super, super warm and meet about 75% of my cold weather needs here (dry snow / ice fishing). I use a fabric spray waterproofer on the uppers. They are also tall enough I don't need gaters- the liners don't go all the way up. I easily cruise in them. Almost like wearing a warm moccasin.

1sKLUzE.jpg

Looking for a boot that will keep my feet warm at 30 dg F & lower. I'm OK with what I have down to about 35dg F. I can in-counter temps down to single digits. So what boot will handle these low temps?
look up Grubb"s , they are rubber hunting boots and they so warm you can wear them only when its extremely cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also they are half the weight of Burleys and ten times warmer!!!!!!!!1

I've found loose fitting lightweight hiking boots , loose fitted with regular old socks worked for 99% of Ga weather , ie down to 25* or so. I used to buy boots with 400gr thinsulate, then 800, then 1000. My feet always froze . After I started having conversations with boot reps, I figured out I was just building sweat boxes for my feet. I just quit worrying about insulation all together. Light hikers , loose fit, with decent socks , loose fit, gave me the light insulation for the walk in and were warm enough for the sit. Oh course, here in GA, it almost always warms up well above freezing within a few hours. Im sure I would have to give more thought to colder climes, but the theory is sound for almost all situations . Just use the minimum recommended insulation and good socks .

If you get "felt pac" boots be SURE you also wear a VBL (Vapor Barrier Liner) to prevent sweat from soaking the felt and making the boots cold. Yeah, many don't notice this too much because they go back to a nice warm house at the end of the day where the liners can (mostly) dry out.

But for maximum warmth day after day, and especially in a tent camp, you need VBL socks. The coated ripstop ones do work except they slide down and tend to bunch up at your toes and provide no insulation.

My solution is 3 mm thick closed cell neoprene divers socks over thin polyester liner socks. When camping take a pair of liner socks for each day. At the end of the day when camping put your felt boot liners in the foot of your sleeping bag so they will be warm the next morning. Remove the divers' socks and turn inside-out to dry and, yep, put them at the foot of your sleeping bag. Put the gross liner socks in a Ziplock freezer bag and close tightly. ;o)
With 3mm divers socks you need no other outer socks.
Besides, they will make for a fit that is much too tight.

The diver's socks can be used with any boots you want to keep warm and dry all day. My favorites are made by US Divers because they are factory seam sealed (important) and have left and right shaped socks. They last for years and never ride down on your foot. Be sure to try them on over thin poly or other synthetic liner socks for fit that is neither too tight or too loose.

Got oversized boots? Try 5 mm thick divers' socks for even more warmth and better boot fit.

Another option you could consider is mukluks.

Steger mukluks are made in Ely MN, just about an hour/hour and a half NE of me, I think I am going to go with their camuckluck xtremes personally.

Looking for an option for winter backpack hunting myself, I'll have a hot tent, titanium stove, -40 bag, I run the Exped megamat lite XL, etc... point there is, heavy gear load as I'll see extreme negative temps.

So I think I am going to try the mukluks, they get pretty stellar ratings, and if you have a lady, order a pair for her, they seem to go nuts over these things. Though not the ugly utilitarian camuckluck model, get her some cutesy ones.

Just another potential option to consider...