Who makes the best rangefinder

++++ 1 for the Swarovski!!!!

The ONLY drawback with it is the aiming circle.....just to **** big. It needs to be about a third the size. I haven't looked a them lately...mine is one of the first ones, but I know that this has been a the only gripe about them that I have herd. A few years ago everyone agreed. Maybe they fixed them, since I don't here the complaints that I use to about the size of the aiming circle.

++++ 1 for the Swarovski!!!!

The ONLY drawback with it is the aiming circle.....just to **** big. It needs to be about a third the size. I haven't looked a them lately...mine is one of the first ones, but I know that this has been a the only gripe about them that I have herd. A few years ago everyone agreed. Maybe they fixed them, since I don't here the complaints that I use to about the size of the aiming circle.

Mine is only a few months old and it still has the big circle. It caused me some trouble last week in kansas. A smaller circle sure would be nice but remember the beam is a 6 foot circle at 1000. If you are ranging on flat ground you get a bunch of realestate along with the game.

Jeff

The beam may be 6 feet at 1000 yards, but the aming circle must be 60 feet at 1 k. Just a guess, of course. It is WAY to big.

But, it is the only one I will own....it's that good!!!!:D

I have owned and used a Leica CRF 1200 and a Swarovsky Laser Guide for a couple of years.
The Swaro ranges further, has superb optics and is great for setting up 1 mile target gongs.
The CRF is smaller, lighter, faster, aims more precisely and is great for ranging out to 1200yds.

After using the Swaro, I was at first disappointed with the CRF - until I learned how to use it properly. It must be held absolutely dead still for maximum ranging on difficult targets and it has definite preferences in target materials. Once I learned how and where to aim it, my opinion of it changed completely.

For me, "the best rangefinder" is:

Swarovski Laser Guide for setting up LR targets
Leica CRF 1200 for hunting

I have owned and used a Leica CRF 1200 and a Swarovsky Laser Guide for a couple of years.
The Swaro ranges further, has superb optics and is great for setting up 1 mile target gongs.
The CRF is smaller, lighter, faster, aims more precisely and is great for ranging out to 1200yds.

After using the Swaro, I was at first disappointed with the CRF - until I learned how to use it properly. It must be held absolutely dead still for maximum ranging on difficult targets and it has definite preferences in target materials. Once I learned how and where to aim it, my opinion of it changed completely.

For me, "the best rangefinder" is:

Swarovski Laser Guide for setting up LR targets
Leica CRF 1200 for hunting

Daj, I can tell you have used both and I think you make a great point.

Jeff

Just got the Swaro last night and so far I think it was the best way for me to go. I haven't ranged anything over 900 yards yet (a grassy, snow covered slope at 877) but it worked well. I also like that I can glass that far and beyond with the 8X monocular...and the Swaro SLC glass is impressive. I doubt I'll carry binos much, if at all.

I really can't compare these to the Leicas or Zeiss. Only to the Nikon 440 that I'm going to be selling. The Nikon is fine for what I'd originally bought it for, which was for sighting in up to 300 yards. So the only things I'd say about the Leicas is that I felt the weight and expense of the Geovids was too much and there were simply better things said about the Swaros compared to the CRF. In the end, the tipping factors were the 8X magnification (not much more, but it helps) and slightly higher exit pupil and the ability to switch between yards and meters (like the Nikon). I still might have gone with the Leica but lucked into a great price too on the Swaro.

I recently purchased a used Leica 1200 yard rangefinder from a friend. After trying out on my archery range I realized the yardages it was computing were off by 20%. I called Leica with model and serial number, they stated I must send in unit for repair. I sent rangefinder to Leica for repair. They informed me that model has recently been replaced by the current model and they do not repair this model any more. Not happy!!!!
I called Swarovski to determine their Limited Lifetime warranty. They were very helpful and answered my questions. They have 2 years on electronics, lifetime on housing and glass with the exception of abuse.
Customer service told me electronic problems are sent to Austria for repair. They will repair their rangefinders where Leica would not consider any repairs on a three year old model.
I have friends with the Geovids, great range finder, somewhat heavy. I think there is better optics these lenses seem to have fringing at low light and long range. This is my opinion.

Bighornbob

Re: Leica repair policy. I sometimes wonder what formulas the bean counters use to determine these things. Do they take into account dissatisfied customers and potential lost sales - especially with the exponential word-of-mouth on the Internet? I'm not saying they should give somebody a brand new unit but it sure makes me pay attention when I hear of someone made whole at the company's expense. I once broke an Orvis rod and they sent me a nicer one. When I called to let them know they'd sent me somebody else's by mistake, the rep just said, "Sometimes we upgrade our customers. Enjoy it!" And I have. Orvis also has a lifetime customer in me ever since.

Two years or more is a pretty good warranty for electronics so that's not much of an issue. But giving even a customer who's willing to pay no options is lame. It just puts that person back in the market where Swarovski, Zeiss, Bushnell, Leupold, Nikon, etc. now have a chance to sell to him.

I owned the Leica 1200 LRF and was happy until the CRF came out. I traded the older model in on the newer ( a big plus is the trade-in policy of Samplelist.com). This summer I shot with some bigger boys at greater distances and became convinced that the Swaro really can range farther and in more difficult conditions. I still love the little CRF for my general purpose hunting, but am planning on getting a Swaro for the longer range shooting.
"daj" said it well! 30-338

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.