who makes the best brass?

rufous

I have heard that both Lapua and Norma brass are much better than Remington or Winchester as far as consistency of neck thickness and uniformity of weight. I have also heard that Lapua is better than Norma because it is harder and therefore can be loaded to higher pressures. Is all of this true? If one had a choice between these 4 manufacturers would it be a slam dunk to pick Lapua (assuming one is willing to pay the higher cost for the higher quality)? Thanks, Rufous

Rufous I would not say it is a slam dunk!!!
Lapua and Norma brass are both a little on the soft side for my taste. If I load anything that breathes a little fire it will cause this brass to extrude itself into the boltface on my guns and cause the bolt to open hard. I do have preferences with the other two brands of brass. I prefer Winchester for my 223 and 243. I prefer Remington for all my other guns from my 25-06up to my ultra mag. I find that if you anneal the necks on the Remington and Winchester it will seal the chamber just as well as the softer more expensive brass. I have found in the last three or four years that Winchester and Remington brass has been exceptional.

My latest go round with Winchester brass, 300 WSM and 270 WSM, has been exceptional.

EXCEPTIONALLY CRAPPY!!!!!!!!!!

I have never seen such junk passed off as shootable brass.

The diameter of the rims vary so much many of them will not even fit in a magnum bolt face.

The rims vary in thickness so much that half of the brass will not even fit in the shell holder or under the extractor.

Several friends have called me from around the country and said they are having the same problems. What on earth has happened to the QA at Winchester????

Norma for my WSM's until Lapua wakes up and enters this market niche.

I like Lapua, Norma then Winchester. Winchester, lately, seems to be softer so it isn't worth the bother and I'd use Norma instead. I've found the Remington brass to be consistants, lately, in the small amount I've used, so it doesn't bother me too bad... it still comes in last in my book though.

The Lapua is thicker, stronger, harder, and as consistant as Norma and often better, so I'll stick with it.
smile.gif

I had 400 338 Lapua Brass on hand and ordered another 200...Shock they would not fit in the same shell holder, a RCBS #37....I had to get a redding #18 shell holder to prime the brass...This did not impress me too much..Its really sloppy with the origanal 400 brass........Lapua needs to look at this if they are to remain a big dog getting big bones...
Honest Charlie

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.