Who makes the best action?

I have to say as a Brit I find it strange to hear people in the US talking about cheap Tikka actions. They may be cheap in the US they ain't in Europe, as an example of prices a Tikka tac a1 I've seen them in the US for $1299.00 same rifle in Europe $2275!
a kilo of Vit powder in the UK average price $110

many of the guys I shoot with are using Tikka actions. Europtics may still have some Tx3's cheap for donor action. There is a local gunsmith in Northeast Texas, he specializes in re-barreling to the Tikkas. I was going to do this but when I pinned him down, he said the Remington 700 properly tuned and fitted was better, in fact he said just shy of the slickness of a custom.

I have to say as a Brit I find it strange to hear people in the US talking about cheap Tikka actions. They may be cheap in the US they ain't in Europe, as an example of prices a Tikka tac a1 I've seen them in the US for $1299.00 same rifle in Europe $2275!
a kilo of Vit powder in the UK average price $110

A AR-15 can be had for $450 here in the USA. What does an AR run in the uk? ..... LOL

I have been looking at actions for a new rifle. My experience is limited to the two I own
one is a Lone Peak Fuzion stainless .The other is a Surgeon 1086 and to tell the truth they seem pretty much equal? The MSRP is within $50.00 on them.After you pass a certain price point are they all about the same? Or does one brand really stand out above the others? Thanks!
believe it or not HOWA actually have a good solid action they made the actions for the Winchester 70 back in the day and are making the actions for all the weatherby vangaurds since they were first producing them and are still today. also take a look at the H.C.R. rifle (howa chassis rifle) very nice rifle and is a 1000 yard rifle in 6.5. creedmore and is also affordable

Factory or Aftermarket Action ?

I've used several different actions for approximately 2 dozen custom builds,
All with Benchmark Barrels and one Bartlein
Weatherby Mark V, Rem 700, Husqvarna HVA small ring Mauser, Kimber Montana, Defiance Rebel, Win 70 CRF, Stiller Predator, Carl Gustaf
I'm not sure from an Accuracy standpoint once they have been Trued&Squared any action is more accurate than the next but would have to say the Kimbers have been the most consistent one hole group rifles with factory ammo.
I always start with factory ammo in my builds and then start handloading from there.
My Gunsmith says the LAW action is one of the best made action he's seen ?
Also says the Kimber is a close second, and the Tilka action is top notch.
He says the worst actions for being out of square are late model Rem 700s and Mark V Weatherby's

The nicest or smoothest action I have is the Defiance Rebel and the Stiller Predator is also very nice, but if course for the price of them they should be.

Last edited:
Being on the wrong side of the pond US made actions are hard to come by and highly prized. Stiller's are the most common followed by Borden and BAT but most custom rifles are built on trued Rem 700's . I've seen a few actions mentioned on here I've never heard of, the Fuzion looks very interesting

Being on the wrong side of the pond US made actions are hard to come by and highly prized. Stiller's are the most common followed by Borden and BAT but most custom rifles are built on trued Rem 700's . I've seen a few actions mentioned on here I've never heard of, the Fuzion looks very interesting
Stillers are made about 20 miles or so from my house here in TX. I hope to own one some day, and if I ever get a weekend free from carting the family to youth soccer matches I may see if I can swing by for a factory tour. It would be amazing if I could swing a tour of the factory and watch my action being built from start to finish...I may have to give them a call to see if that's even possible!

jpfrog

My first custom action was a Stiller Predator. Great action. I live in Frisco and drove over to Stiller. This was a long time ago when they were really starting to grow on their benchrest fame. They were machining actions and I think Jerry Stillers Dad was polishing the actions by hand !!!

It has sold in the past few years. They new owner is good people, They have grown a bunch. You cant go wrong with one or any we have mentioned. The hardest part is finding one in stock to match the caliber you want to build. Make sure you do this.

I would not post something like that. Things change and it would be here even when my opinions change. Some actions get better and other stay the same or even go down hill. Plus I feel you should listen to your smith, you should trust him if your using him. I will tell you to look at Benchrest and F-class equipment lists. We cant use actions that are not up to the accuracy requirements of those sports and most of those guys make rem clones as well as target actions. The worry about "benchrest actions" is just folk lore. They are every bit as reliable or rugged as the sloppy actions. I cant understand buying a sloppy custom, just run a factory action if thats what your after. Bat and Borden both run a little extra bolt clearance on their rem clone actions any ways. I may be a little biased but I like actions with roots in Benchrest, thats were all of the accuracy improvements come from. But there are some others that are not involved in BR that offer some good stuff. If you have a specific question send me an email.

Very well said!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.