Who makes prefit barrels for Tikkas?

I have a x-caliber barrel in 260 for a Tikka with about 100 rounds down it if you're interested.

this is what Shilen offers.
Remington Model 700, 600, XP-100, 40-X Centerfire
• Sako 1960 L Series, 1980 A Series, 1990 M Series
• Weatherby Mark V Temporarily Suspended.
• Winchester Model 70, Post 64 only - ** Let us know if they are 16 or 28 TPI **
• Ruger Model 77 • Mauser 98 • Mauser 96
• Browning A-bolt - **Requires customer to provide desired thread diameter and pitch** Temporarily Suspended.

we dont make prefit for the tikkas, however we have a very easy shipping process and have a ton of experience with the tikka, here is a price break down
stainless proof barrel 325.00
carbon proof 730.00
labor to chamber thread and install 350.00
we also recommend truing the face of the action to accept 1.20-1.25"dia shanked barrels we charge 75.00 to do this.
give us a call in the morning and i can help you out, 307-707-3181 ext 1

I've got a T3 in .243 that needs a new barrel. Will most likely go to a 6.5 Creed. I know their threads are metric and my gunsmith won't rebarrel any metric rifle because it's about a 2 hours job to switch the lathe over to metric (and he's too busy to be doing that). Looking for a prefit or to send the barreled action to someone who does a good job putting a new one on.
Thanks for the help

Doug
Hey Doug

Straight Jacket Armory can make a pre fit for your Tikka but here is the catch! If you don't know what you are doing with the Tikka actions becareful! These are somewhat easy to bend out of true. We see it all the time when guys send us in their actions after they have taken the barrel off.

In order to accept our shouldered prefit barrels, we remove some of the metal off the face of the action and clean it up so it is perfectly square and can accept our shouldered prefit barrel. It costs you less than $100 bucks for us to do it.

We strongly recommend customers send us their Tikka barreled action so we can properly remove the barrel to ensure it does not get bent or damaged.

If you are interested, give us a call for details!

StraightShooter77
www.straightjacketarmory.com
307 707-3181 Ext 1

A thought/question came to mind when I read the above statement. Most pre-fit barrels with fixed shoulder are made (read headspaced) off the existing face measurements of the action. By removing some of the face in order to 'square' it, the action can then accept barrels with a tenon larger than 1.13" standard Tikka diameter. But wouldn't removing some of the face make it such that other standard pre-fit barrels with a fixed shoulder would then have the improper headspace machined into them? After shaving off some of the Tikka action face when 'squaring' it, the only pre-fit that would still be able to headspace properly in the action would be one with a barrel nut. Am I correct, or am I still missing part of the equation?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.