Who makes and where to buy the most accurate scale check weights

DartonJager

Was wondering if anyone knows if there is available for purchase and where to buy same an extremely accurate scale check weight set to check the accuracy of my balance beam and digital scales.
I currently own a Lyman check weight set I bought 15+ years ago at least, but was wondering if someone is now producing a more accurate set available for purchase.
I don't have any information available as to the accuracy of the Lyman check weight set. It might be great but I bought it long ago when my journey into precision reloading was still in it's infancy and my knowledge of same was a reflection of my inexperience.

Troemner 1512-111 50GN-0.5GN Class F Test Weight Set with No Certificate, Weights 50GN Through 10GN are 303 Stainless Steel & Weights 5GN Through 0.5GN are Aluminum https://a.co/d/7jEXB58

these are pretty good for the price and I checked them on my FX120i Lab Balance and both the 20gr weights were .2 gr heavy but the 10gr down to 1gr are spot on.

Amazon will not post.When I try it disappears on this site.
Go to amazon and type in check weights with certificate.
Troemner has a set for 249.
Too rich for my bank account so I wrote down which weights were off (none off much .1 for one weight).
I could shave a bit off but I ruined 1 check weight as just a touch on grinder put it way off.

Last edited:
Take your weights to a high end jeweler. They have scales that measure diamond weights to multiple decimals.
I even took a penny, nickel, dime and quarter in - he gave me the exact weights, I wrote them down, put coins in an old pill bottle and have reused them multiple times.
He wouldn't even take any money when he found out what I was using them for.

I like cowboy's idea.
I found this on another site:
I've had this note in my reloading notes for quite some time. Might help.

~~~~~~~~
In the absence of certified check weights, you can use US coins to verify accuracy on your powder scale. Each nickel weighs 5 grams. That converts to 77.16 grains.

Pennies weigh 2.5 grams, or 38.58 grains.

Easy calculations, and you can zero your scale very accuratly using coins. I would recommend the newest, best condition ones you can find.

My RCBS 5-0-5 scale weighs one nickel at exactly 77 grains, and two nickles at 155.1 grains, which is only .78 grain off true weight. Close enough I think.

Again this is not my idea.It was on Alaska Outdoors Supersite

If you don't mind doing the math for grams to grains, do a search for "OHAUS Class P-Metric". they come up as new and on ebay as used.
Mine is a 20 piece set 100 grams to 1 mgram

If you don't mind doing the math for grams to grains, do a search for "OHAUS Class P-Metric". they come up as new and on ebay as used.
Mine is a 20 piece set 100 grams to 1 mgram
Here you go.I have never used this but Ohause didn't make junk as far as I know.

Also:https://www.mcmaster.com/test-weigh...est-weight-sets-with-calibration-certificate/

Last edited:
I think it's funny how you buy a reloading powder dispenser/ scale ( pick the brand) which typically weigh charges in the 30-80 grain range but use check weights that are 10 times heavier than the heavy powder charges...

There is a reason for using cal weight at or near the full scale range when calibrating an electronic scale. I won't bore you with the math, it is really just like the analogy of longer sight radius being better than short sights. To set the gain, a given error at the full scale is better than that same error over a short value.

However, check weights on a beam scale are a different affair. So, there is some wisdom in checking a beam scale with a check weight that is near or identical to your charge weight.

Take a 40 grain 22 bullet and a 180 grain 30 cal. Weigh them on your electric and your beam scales, write the exact weight down for each scale. Keep them segregated and use them to check scales thereafter. Whether the scales is reading .1 grain high or low of certified weight is irrelevant, you aren't selling diamonds by the carat or trying to mix doses of Car-fentanyl. All you need to know is it is weighing that 40 grain bullet at 40 grains. Paying big bucks for certified check weights to weigh powder is just a waste of money.

ASTM or NIST would be the most accurate, the mettler weights. As One post stated if you want accurate calibration expensive- $805.00. Used to run labs back in the day when I was working corporate.

Was wondering if anyone knows if there is available for purchase and where to buy same an extremely accurate scale check weight set to check the accuracy of my balance beam and digital scales.
I currently own a Lyman check weight set I bought 15+ years ago at least, but was wondering if someone is now producing a more accurate set available for purchase.
I don't have any information available as to the accuracy of the Lyman check weight set. It might be great but I bought it long ago when my journey into precision reloading was still in it's infancy and my knowledge of same was a reflection of my inexperience.
The most important performance aspect of any scale is repeatability. I found a lab to weigh my el cheapo check weights for me (less than $10). It doesn't really matter if your powder charge weight 45.7 throgmortons, or 81 kilomilgrams. so long as when you pull that round apart 1 year or 10 years down the road, your scale still reads 45.7 throgmortons or 81 kilomilgrams. If that load gives the performance you need then your scale is allowing you to duplicate it and that is what is important. I use checkweights as a rough sanity check. If I put on the 50g weight and the scale suddenly is showing 45 or 55 then I will start checking level, clean the contact points etc, eliminate wind sources. I had a friend that was a pharmacist, I asked him to weigh my check weights ( 1g, 2g, 10g, 20g, 50g, 100g ) this set cost me lest than 10 bucks. He marked the weights on all 6 with a sharpie. When I got home I used my number stamping dies (from harbor freight, also less than $10 ) to label them permanently. So who cares if the 100 is 101.8, so long as my scale says 101.8 when I put it on. When I reload, I do a minimum of 50 rounds at a time. I throw the charges from a Uniflow to withing a grain or two of my target weight. then I dump that case load on the scale and trickle up to my target weight. I do all 50, standing in a 50 round tray. then I take one round out of each row and remeasure. This has never failed me. I do this because I squib charged a .308 round in my M1. I had plenty of trouble getting that bullet out of the barrel and put the rifle out of action for over a year. So never again. Changing scales is where this falls apart if you are not careful.

In the absence of certified check weights, you can use US coins to verify accuracy on your powder scale. Each nickel weighs 5 grams. That converts to 77.16 grains.

Pennies weigh 2.5 grams, or 38.58 grains.

Easy calculations, and you can zero your scale very accuratly using coins. I would recommend the newest, best condition ones you can find.

My RCBS 5-0-5 scale weighs one nickel at exactly 77 grains, and two nickles at 155.1 grains, which is only .78 grain off true weight. Close enough I think.

Again this is not my idea. It was on Alaska Outdoors Supersite

Superb idea will do exactly this.