Who loves their 257 wby magnums

1 in 10 will stabilize bullets up to 120 grain. There's a trend you can read about in long range hunting toward 131 gr Blackjack bullets requiring 1 in 7.5. The first 257 Weatherby's were 1 in 12 and would only stabilize up to 100.

My 257 WBY is a fantastic rig for harvesting white tailed deer.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

Iron Worker, have two .257 Wbys. Both are sub 1/2 MOA out to 500 with 115 Berger VLDH, H1000 and 215M primers. The Mark V is factory stock except for a trigger job and the Vanguard has a new 24" barrel with a Timney trigger, Cerecoated barreled action and Bell & Carleson stock, both 1:10. Az muleys, javelina and coyotes hate them. The grandson thinks the Vanguard is his, we have big fun when we get into the coyotes.

Sure is easier buying a rifle rather than selling it. I have a 338-378 and can't seem to sell it. So a smith in CO who is in good with Weatherby will replace the bolt and re-bbl my rifle to the 257 WBY Mag. I think I'll have a 26" 5R Bartlien 10"twist installed.
You will probably need a different magazine box and follower. .378 Wby is a good bit fatter than the .300 H&H-based cartridges that the .300 Wby down to .257 Wby are based off of.

Also, if you plan on shooting the 131 Blackjacks, the 1:7 twist would be ideal.

Count me in as a 257 Roy fan. I have posted this before.

Dan and I had a custom reamer made to shoot the 115 Berger VLDs. .100" freebore, 1 1/2 degree throat angle and no turn .003" chamber neck clearance per side with Norma brass.

We had such good results with our first builds,
(28" #5 fluted SS Lilja 1 in 10 3 groove)
we each made a lighter version. Dan went wild lightening his Rem 700. #3 profile 1 in 10 Lilja 3 groove. Had barrel and bolt fluted. Had metal machined off action. Blind magazine and an McMillan edge stock, His weighed 6 lb 7 1/2 oz without Talley lightweight rings and 3.5-10 Leupold. It is his go to rifle for hunting for elk, deer and javelina.

I sold my lighter weight Rem 700 but kept the Ruger M77 tang safety in a McMillan hunter stock. Now on second barrel.

Tim, Allen, and Deason made 257s with our reamer and the 3 groove Liljas also with115 Bergers.

We have taken quite a few animals:
6 elk
25 coues wt
4 mule deer
2 antelope
2 javelina

The 115 VLDs often produce some spectacular DRTs. To me the best part is the flat trajectory and mild recoil. This year I shot a coues wt at 340 yds and didn't have to compensate for drop by twisting a turret or any holdover. POI at 100 was 1.9" which placed bullet 1" low at 340 yds.

There are few chamberings that offer such a flat trajectory. The others have more recoil as part of the package.

I couldn't get the 110AB to shoot in my wby so I went to the 100gr Barnes and I am getting about 3550 using 7828. Only used it on antelope and mule deer but have been very pleased with it.

Gunsmith did tell me that magazine work will be required .
Magazine, follower, bolt stop in the wrong place... The 257 and 338-378 are very different setups, and not much is directly interchangeable.

Still less $ to sell yours and buy another rifle. You might want to try Gunbroker to sell your rifle package as well.

If it were me I'd keep yours and buy a 257 to match. :)

The 257 Wby was fast before fast was cool! It's the closest thing to a laser that I've used. Mine is a West German action on it's 3rd barrel and 3rd stock.
It has a 1 in 10 twisted Hart.

B24F07CA-09B8-4B67-BEAD-CB405AC151F3.jpeg

Huge fan of .257 WTBY. Pull the trigger on a whitetail dead in its tracks. Antelpoe just a repeat of whitetail. I shoot 100gr nosler bt in mine and love them. I would have to look at home to see powder charge as I usually load 100-200 at a time so I dont load very often. Great round my favorite rifle is my MK V Ultralight.

My custom load is Berger 115 vid with 59 grains of IMR 4831 primer WLRM and have take nine Wyoming Antelope and one Arizona whitetail and two mule deer

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.