Who loves their 257 wby magnums

Thank you all for the detailed information, it's been wonderful reading. I'm currently traveling out of state for work. I think I'm going to build the 25 SST, the Sherman product's looks super high quality and I feel confident I can meet my goals for this project going that route. Hope to make contact when I return and inquire about a smith to set up a barrel for me. I'll be pre-ordering the brass soon as well as ordering a few hundred of the 131's when I return. Just need to decide on a stock now, I love the idea of the torque it and go KSG Bravo but prefer the aesthetics of a Mcmillan or Manners, just not 100% sure they a true drop in and go setup like the KSG. Thanks again all!

I sure love mine. It's a Mark V Accumark w/ a Wby installed brake. It's...by far...the most accurate gun I own. I bought it used on this website back in 2010. Ironically the seller only lived bout 60 miles from me. We agreed to meet at a gun range so I could take it for a test drive. I shot it three times at 100 yards...into one elongated hole, less than 3/8" group. He seemed a little surprised at my group. Oddly the group was about 1" left and 1-1/2" low. And after that he would not negotiate on his price at all. LOL.

I'll never sell it.

I was given an old custom built 257 WM. It was built on an commercial FN 98 receiver. I bought several boxes of Weatherby Ammo, just to see what it would do, before determining that the barrel was shot out. I will make a deal on the ammo. PM if interested.

I absolutely love my 257 Wby. Why do I cherish it over my other rifles? Its fun to shoot. Super fast, very accurate and often just seems to be lucky. When I carry it, I find deer, even in tough conditions. You have to look after them; taking care not to fire too many too quick, cleaning carefully to avoid the dreaded carbon ring. I got one once and everything went wild! These things make it interesting. Without bragging I can honestly say I have shot hundreds of deer and quite a few foxes with mine. Mark 5, re-barreled once (27 inch tube now), MacMillan stock. I would never sell it.

I recently acquired one. I wasn't really looking for one but a buddy couldn't pay back a loan so I have one.
I'm going to use it as a porch gun in East Tx where shots on deer & hogs can go 450 yards. It'll take the place of the 300 WM. But in the woods I use a short barreled 308.
I just acquired the brass & dies & doing some load testing. It is not an economical round. I'm going to keep it as that cartridge is the only 25 caliber that I haven't owned & Roy W really liked it; was his favorite.
Since you already have it, might as well try it out.
Good shooting!

I recently acquired one. I wasn't really looking for one but a buddy couldn't pay back a loan so I have one.
I'm going to use it as a porch gun in East Tx where shots on deer & hogs can go 450 yards. It'll take the place of the 300 WM. But in the woods I use a short barreled 308.
I just acquired the brass & dies & doing some load testing. It is not an economical round. I'm going to keep it as that cartridge is the only 25 caliber that I haven't owned & Roy W really liked it; was his favorite.
Since you already have it, might as well try it out.
Good shooting!

I tell you what I have so many calibers and it's still at the top for favorites.
I'm running the 115 nosler with dreams of reaching out as far as I can but am rethinking it. I'm gonna try the 90gr hammers and they will be zipping. Should be very flat out to the distance you are talking about.

......I tell you what I have so many calibers and it's still at the top for favorites.......

It holds sentimental appeal for me being the first "real" rifle I ever shot. It's always been on the list, but never made it to the top. Probably won't at this point.

Same with me first semi custom and kinda when I started into long range. I found the round in my dads basement and thought tiny bullet lots of powder= best long range. Lol
Didn't know much but my dad bought it from someone who had the barrel cut to 20" which didn't make sense. So I did a semi custom. Still puts deer and hogs down quick.

Same with me first semi custom and kinda when I started into long range. I found the round in my dads basement and thought tiny bullet lots of powder= best long range. Lol
Didn't know much but my dad bought it from someone who had the barrel cut to 20" which didn't make sense. So I did a semi custom. Still puts deer and hogs down quick.

That's like take a turbo charged V-8 engine and removing two pistons. There should be laws against these things! LOL.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.