Who loves their 257 wby magnums

I read Remington has either the 257Wby or 25-06 in a1in8 offering this year.
I have a Rem 700 chambered in 257Wby with a 26 inch barrel. It likes the Barnes 100TSX at 3600fps. The bullet is pushed by I believe either 69 or 70 grains of RL22 and shoots 3 shots under half inch at 100yds. I topped the outfit with a 4x20-50 Burris Veracity. A friend of mine took a big bodied muley with it last fall at 490yds bang flop.

Ironworker... We talked with Dave Kiff of Pacific Tool and Gauge. We said we wanted the rifle to shoot the Berger 115 VLD. He suggested we use a 1 1/2 degree throat angle instead of Weatherby's. All the rifles we built which is now seven have shot the VLD with them being .100" to .070" from lands. I my experience the only way I could consistently get VLDs to shoot in the past was with them contacting or into the lands.

I have one I purchased back in the 80's. 24" light whippy barrel and the most beautiful stock ever. It shoots 100 gr. Partitions into clover leafs but anything heavier is pie plate at best.

I love my .257 Rem. 700 LSS with 26' barrel , haven't reloaded any yet I've been shooting wby factory loads with 120 Nosler partition shot 6 hogs and 2 deer , when you drop the hammer you watch em fold up in the scope . Best ever !!!!

Mine has the freebore and still shoots great. I think it may give issues to some Bullets but I have had no issues. Especially if you are getting a 8 or 7 twist and can shoot hammers or cutting edge. They don't seem to mind jump. And you can get some good bc also

That bullet will only work for a target rifle right? Didn't they even say they were working on a hunting bullet. I get everyone wants to have a long range .257 but it's not a hunting bullet. Thus he would have a rifle built around a long range target bullet that would not be a good target round as the Roy will burn up barrels quick. Just get the twist you want and match it to one of the many mono hunting Bullets that should also work for the blackjack if or when they come out with a hunting bullet.

That bullet will only work for a target rifle right? Didn't they even say they were working on a hunting bullet. I get everyone wants to have a long range .257 but it's not a hunting bullet. Thus he would have a rifle built around a long range target bullet that would not be a good target round as the Roy will burn up barrels quick. Just get the twist you want and match it to one of the many mono hunting Bullets that should also work for the blackjack if or when they come out with a hunting bullet.
Sounds like it works as well as a Berger for hunting

I've got a Weatherby Ultra light .257. It's definitely not the most accurate I own, but will come in around 1" at 100 yards with 77.1 grains of 7797 and a Barnes 100 grain TTSX. This load clocks at 3722 fps. I have taken three deer with this load and not one taken a single step after being hit. The closest shot was 184 yards and the longest was 416 yards. The amount of damage is incredible.
This has been my experience with 2 rifles as well. 1 vanguard, 1 ultra light. both got down to the 1" range with 115 berger and RL-25. tried a lot of powder and bullets in between, all over 1". love the concept and performance of .257 WBY. Just cant get groups where I want them. It is a hammer on deer though. Ultralight currently in queue to be rebarreled with a heavier contour Bartlein. We will see soon, if it makes the cut.....

Guys are using the current bullet for hunting. Unfortunately, you have to go on Facebook to really get a good read on them. As far as I have read, they are also coming out with a true hunting bullet.

You want to buy some factory lose ammo I have? Got it in a trade at some point. Never had a chance to own 257 weatherby. I don't have any 25 calibers. Pm me if interested and ill count them up and send a picture. Might take me a bit though as I just had back surgery, and I'll need to dig them out.

You want to buy some factory lose ammo I have? Got it in a trade at some point. Never had a chance to own 257 weatherby. I don't have any 25 calibers. Pm me if interested and ill count them up and send a picture. Might take me a bit though as I just had back surgery, and I'll need to dig them out.
I have a .257 Weatherby, love that rifle! Plan to keep it as is, it's a shooter and it has sentimental value. Thanks for the offer though.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts