Who is the laziest reloader?

fightthenoise

You don't mess with primer pockets, your powder thrower is good to maybe 0.1 grain, you definitely don't neck turn, you still need to buy that one Hornady tool that measures stuff, you might have mixed in a different head stamp or two, you've never annealed anything...

But you still get impressive results out of your ammo. I want to hear from the guys doing the minimum. And by lazy I don't mean dangerous or careless. Not stuff that risks a kaboom, just dotting the i's and crossing the t's to get your ammo made safely, nothing more and nothing less.

Mixed headstamp .308 x^n times fired, Dillon 550, Dillon dies, powder drop H-322, V-MAX, CCI 200s that are at least 10 yo, out of my Larue is patterning sub MOA at 2880 fps. I did trim the brass after sizing and clean the primer pockets but that's it. Made them for a predator comp but they performed so well on paper I'm actually going to do up another batch.

With the right components and a good progressive press, you'd be amazed at what you can turn out. Lots of pistol and 5.56 ammo loaded this way. Remember, there is ALOT of factory ammo that shoots amazingly well that's made on large commercial presses and their brass prep regimen involves dumping a barrel of manufactured brass into a large hopper! Same for powder and bullets.

A good shootin iron helps! Use to do a lot of work getting reloads ready and wieghed out everything but these days I look in the nosler manual for thier prefered powder and wieght, set the Dillon up, grab some brass and letter buck.
Also chasing velocity has cost me more equipment, time and money than its worth!

I don't neck turn, anneal, or have a shoulder bump gauge, though I do have a method of adjusting my die that works just as well (feel the brass in the chamber for contact without the ejector or firing pin and adjust until just no contact then +.002 bump). I don't mix headstamps in my lr stuff, and the rest of my loading process is pretty precise, but I am still missing out a couple of parts, and I consistently take animals out to 900+ somewhat regularly.

I tend to be a little less stringent about loading for my M1, SKS and Yugo M70b1. No neck turning, no tedious die adjustments for the perfect bump and no concentricity checks. That's why I call it "loading for fun". They all go "bang" pummel the crap outa whatever I'm shooting at and put a smile on my face out to 50-100 yards. Good times.

6A6B69D4-8BF6-4026-9F75-5E25D1B815C1.jpeg

I have the RCBS kit with press, uniflow, scale. I take new brass, run an expander ball through the neck, chamfeur and debur, stick a primer in it. I do trickle each round, but I don't do a lot of the things that others do here. My factory rifles that I tend to put new stocks on and triggers in, all shoot from .25-.75 MOA depending on which rifle it is. It should be noted, I am not a target shooter at this point.

I have followed/read on this forum for some time. By the standards of most of the people posting on this forum, I am a lazy shooter. I clean my cases and measure for length. A few years ago I jumped into the stainless steel cleaning medea and still wonder if I really needed to do that. If needed I will trim to length. I seldom if ever clean primer pockets much less drill and/or chamfer the primer flash hole.
Also a few years ago I purchased a run out checker and after checking a couple hundred finished loaded rounds came to the conclusion that I am one lucky loader. Most of the run out was less than a .001 and several were less than that. I use some Redding Competition dies but most of my dies are regular RCBS three die system.
I believe that accuracy is king. But what kind of accuracy is realistically used by most hunters. Someone posted here today that this is the "Long Range Hunting" forum. That changes what is "realistic" for this forum. I venture to say that there are far more hunters that take game under three hundred yards than hunters that take game in excess of eight hundred yards and beyond. Accuracy under five hundred yards is different than accuracy over five hundred yards.
I am a "one inch" type of shooter. If I can get one inch groups at a hundred with a big game hunting caliber I am happy. Do I try to ring out any smaller groups? Sure. But I don't weigh and measure every bullet, I don't weigh and anneal every case. I don't turn necks of cases. I do weigh every charge going into my rifle builds. I use Imperial wax on the necks of my cases to ensure consistent neck pressure on the bullet and abhor the Lee factory crimp.
Not for everyone and maybe not for anyone but me.
As usual, just my two cents and your mileage may vary.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.