Who hunts with a chassis

Yep, scope and mount could add 2lbs + easy. I might try it in both weighted and unweighted configurations and see how it goes.

Practicing in same configuration as hunting makes sense.
10 with a good brake should not be bad at all to shoot well. The 300 torques and pushes a bit but nothing crazy with good support. I bet you'll wind up shooting without adding the weights. Just don't make the mistake many do and not practice positional. Magnums tend to react poorly to awkward and unstable positions at the worst times.

Im in the process of building a new rifle and though I like the looks of classic stocks, I prefer shooting with a chassis. I have a savage .260 that wears an XLR chassis and I love it, but my god, it weighs more than my truck. With that said, I'm putting together a new .300 WM.

I just bought an ARC nucleus long action with 20 moa base.
I plan to build it with a 28" carbon 6 bull (3.3xx lbs estimate per them).

The interesting thing is XLR has their "element 3.0" magnesium chassis, with the lightest setup they claim 28 oz! If I'm reading correctly that's completely dressed including their carbon buttstock and grip!.
That seems to weigh even less than the traditional rifle stock with bottom metal.

So, for those of you that hunt with a chassis, what is the weight of your setup? What are you hunting with it, and how far are you carrying it? Is there anything else I should be looking at for stock/chassis options that is lightweight? This will MOSTLY be taken along for plinking but I will be packing it in CO for elk. For reference, The rifle I took last year was a browning max LR with 24" bartlein weighing in at 12lbs dressed.
I hunt with a CHRISTENSEN Arms MPR in .308 16" barrel with a Harvester 338 Big Bore suppressor, Carbon Bipod, Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40 scope with Mark 4 rings, with five 178 grain ELDX bullets, whole rig comes up to 11.6 pounds.
I shoot this set up at deer and pigs up to 400 yards, targets out to 600 yards.
It has a carbon handguard and doesn't get cold 😁

Last edited:
I am looking at this option also since the chassis has so many ways it can be adjusted.

I spoke to Ryan Pearce and he quoted a weight for a completed rifle using a Proof barrel,Element chassis and including the mag at 8 lbs and 7 ozs. That is about 10 ozs more than an equivalent say Manners stock with built in cheek rest.

I think with improvements in weight reduction the chassis will become more popular in the future as a hunting rig option.
Hunted with mine in New Mexico for elk this fall and found it to pack/carry very well. I do like the ability to adjust it in various ways to fit me.

You running a folding stock version? How does it work out for sling carry?
I know you didn't ask me but the chassis usually has multiple sling points via a qd button release. I found the chassis to sling very well and carry front style sometimes and don't have to unsling to shoulder. Pretty cool actually. I use the folder a lot.

Here is the MPH Chassis we developed for the stalking / LR hunter that want a chassis with regular weight. The chassis weighs 2.0 lbs. The rifle complete with TBA suppressor, bipod and optics weighs 9.4 lbs. The barrel is 18" and is chambered in 7 WSM +P. It will run the 180 Berger Hunting VLD at 2910 fps. We have also had great results with the 180 ELD M as well. We included all the features on the chassis you need for hunting but left off all the nonessential items we could to keep the weight reasonable.
MPH 02.jpg

For more info check out the MPH page - https://defensiveedge.net/mph-rifle-chassis/

Here is the MPH Chassis we developed for the stalking / LR hunter that want a chassis with regular weight. The chassis weighs 2.0 lbs. The rifle complete with TBA suppressor, bipod and optics weighs 9.4 lbs. The barrel is 18" and is chambered in 7 WSM +P. It will run the 180 Berger Hunting VLD at 2910 fps. We have also had great results with the 180 ELD M as well. We included all the features on the chassis you need for hunting but left off all the nonessential items we could to keep the weight reasonable.
View attachment 248550

For more info check out the MPH page - https://defensiveedge.net/mph-rifle-chassis/
I really like that chassis. Cool looking rifle for sure.

I have a rifle in that chassis and find it inconvenient for anything but prone shooting...but that is what I use it for.

For hunting, this season was my first one carrying a metal rifle. A 458 SOCOM AR in deer season. I found it a heck of a lot colder with a metal rifle in my hands and lap at 18F than with a traditional rifle. I WILL find a way to insulate the handguard next year or carry a different rifle when it is cold.
You want to know how to make it nice against your cheek? Neoprene. I have a neoprene wrap around my Winchester 70 with a synthetic stock and it cushions my cheek a tad on recoil, but the biggest thing is if your cheek is on it for more than a second, it'll start to feel warm. You can buy small rolls of it from grainger, I recommend getting at least 2mm thick or at least 1/8" inches (1/8th being slightly thicker but they sell it in both metric and imperial)

cut it to size, and you can either glue it to your cheek piece, or cut it so it can pass all the way around the cheek piece, and stitch it so it holds. For a chassis, I would buy a replacement cheek piece and just glue it tk that to not have a permanent solution if it gets marred up and needs to be replaced. Because once it's glued on there, it's a bond you'll never be able to get apart. But it makes your cheek piece feel significantly warmer in the cold weather.

Here's my 300 WM built on a lone peak arms titanium action and a proof barrel. Here's a comparison of the carbon fiber/edge filled McMillan VS the XLR magnesium chassis.
Scope is a Zeiss Victory Diavari 4-16X50

0891E80A-DC91-4C90-873A-65BE2F9068FB.jpeg

Here's my 6.5 saum with titanium action, proof barrel, XLR element magnesium chassis, TBAC ultra 7" suppressor and Swarovski dS (2.5lb scope)
945CE587-392B-4079-A54A-010D27004105.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.