Who hunts with a chassis rifle?

Be curious to hear from someone who hunts late season mule deer and elk in the deep snow and pushes timber, in addition to shooting long range from vantage points. Seems like carrying a chassis In your hands for a quick timber shot when it's 5-10 degrees out would suck. Also be concerned with the chassis getting packed with snow if you push through snowy trees or happen to fall. Been interested in trying one but hesitant for the reasons above...

Shooting comfortable long range is where chassis shines. Carrying the weight around sucks and yes it is could to hold on my late cow elk hunts. I haven't not noticed snow being an issue with my XLR. Maybe some of the more complex buttstocks but you shouldn't be adjusting it in the field anyways.

Wieghts the big thing, the light side is 5-6 lbs pre-scope and no bipod. Most are going to be over 10 lbs completely setup especially with a bipod. Building an ultralight short rifle now since I hike a lot more than I shot (sometimes 20 miles a day in the mountains).

Any pics of ur setup folded up in the pack? I been considering that option as well.
Eberlestock blue widow, XLR magnesium folder, 6.5x47 23" + brake. Tent, sleeping, bag, stove, water filter, food, etc. for 3 days. Sometimes put a tube over the barrel so hikers think it is a fishing rod if I'm on a popular trail
pacckkk.jpg
packk.jpg
packkk.jpg

Any pics of ur setup folded up in the pack? I been considering that option as well.
Here's one on a small 1850 Kuiu pack with can. It's a big difference. Without can would almost sit "inside" footprint of a 4000ci pack or so. With can still below my head. 23" barrel and magnesium XLR folder.

Attachments

• A0041022-EAB8-44F2-A886-2851F02D795D.jpeg
    A0041022-EAB8-44F2-A886-2851F02D795D.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 213
Shooting comfortable long range is where chassis shines. Carrying the weight around sucks and yes it is could to hold on my late cow elk hunts. I haven't not noticed snow being an issue with my XLR. Maybe some of the more complex buttstocks but you shouldn't be adjusting it in the field anyways.

Wieghts the big thing, the light side is 5-6 lbs pre-scope and no bipod. Most are going to be over 10 lbs completely setup especially with a bipod. Building an ultralight short rifle now since I hike a lot more than I shot (sometimes 20 miles a day in the mountains).
If I may ask, what is your plan for an ultralight short rifle? I like the Christensen rifles, light weight. But a Kimber can also be had for sub- five pounds.....

If I may ask, what is your plan for an ultralight short rifle? I like the Christensen rifles, light weight. But a Kimber can also be had for sub- five pounds.....

Skeletonized 700 trued action or Peirce TI 22.5 or 24 oz (with trigger)
short carbon fiber barrel probably 19" 32 oz
Mg arms stock 18 oz
Muzzle brake 1.5 oz

I am not a Kimber fan.

I hunt with a few xlr element 3.0 magnesium chassis rifles, due to their light weight folding ability. Personally I don't care for the large amount of flex in these magnesium chassis, but they serve a purpose. Compact lightweight folding setup. Not many other options.
IMG_20200827_190124.jpg
IMG_20200921_131217.jpg

Something that is being mentioned as a CON to chassis that is real..... is weight. The lightweight carbon stocks come in around 1.8-2lbs ready to drop in the barreled action. A chassis is generally around 4.5-5.5 lbs. Lightweight chassis designs are in the 3.5-4 lbs range. XLR and MPA both offer a lighter package but you have to pay attention to the butt stock design and folding option. The MPA is the one I'd prefer with a folder if a person didn't plan any modifications.

I was able to modify my MDT LSS XL with folder down to 3.1 lbs from 4.1 lbs. The folder on the mdt is a beast of a piece and weighs 7 ounces on its own so I guess i'd be pretty close to 2.5lbs without a folder.

I mention all of this simply as a thought for those who have concern about weight. In the end this rifle with a 22" proof, bighorn tl3 action, tt diamond, Leuvx6hd 3-18x50, MDT LSS XL stock, TBAC 7 suppressor is 9 lbs 9 ounces or just a hair over 9.5lbs. Remove the can and folder and its a 8-8.2 lb chassis rifle ready to shoot. If you look closely you can pick out the machine work I did to get the weight down.

View attachment 218153
You machined the bolt to operate the wrong direction?đź‘Ť

I hunt with a few xlr element 3.0 magnesium chassis rifles, due to their light weight folding ability. Personally I don't care for the large amount of flex in these magnesium chassis, but they serve a purpose. Compact lightweight folding setup. Not many other options. View attachment 218894View attachment 218895

where did the cheek piece on top of carbon fiber come from (black on one tan on other, honeycomb pattern) I have the same and been trying to figure out where to snag those.

.30 LARA, BHA SR2 LA with 20 MOA rail, Timney CE, 27" Lilja 1:9" 3G Sendero contour, IOR Valdada 3-18x50 (35MM) illuminated, XLR element folding adapter tac light buttstock, 5-round Accurate Mag, MBM 5-port beast brake/Eliteiron Bravo suppressor.

.30 LARA 1 of 9.jpg
.30 LARA 4 of 9.jpg

I hunt with what I like to shoot the most, and these are my favorite shooters...
All DIY Savage builds, 260 Rem, 6.5/284, 280 Ackley. Thinking about a 28 Nosler next time.

Attachments

• Message_1601663626775.jpg
    Message_1601663626775.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 143
  • Message_1600298702042.jpg
    Message_1600298702042.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 123
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts