Who hunts with a 12+lb rifle?

My deer hunting rifle is right around 12#, but I'm far from a mountain hunter. My longest walk from the truck is about a half mile and then I can sit in my treestand and hang the gun from a hook or lean it against a rail.

NOPE

I couldn't believe how unbalanced my 10lb with scope 270 made my pack last year, Was pretty disappointed in both the KUIU gun bearer and my pack balancing abilities. maybe once I find a better system. But some of the terrain I hunt really limits how much weight you can haul into the back country, and my physical abilities were definitely pushed.

Unfortunately i can't seem to escape 12+ pounds on my rifles. Though dad's is a solid 11lbs with the can and bipod.
26165145_10210739337381303_999615853966415750_n.jpg

NOPE

I couldn't believe how unbalanced my 10lb with scope 270 made my pack last year, Was pretty disappointed in both the KUIU gun bearer and my pack balancing abilities. maybe once I find a better system. But some of the terrain I hunt really limits how much weight you can haul into the back country, and my physical abilities were definitely pushed.
I love the ebellestock elk hunter myself. Rifle weight is centered and as close to your core as it could get with out a poke

Were is that leupold mark5hd that you were telling us about?

That's an old pic was trying to find a pic with both rifles in it. But i sold it and bought a used Kahles 624i at a great price. Still have that review in the Mark 5 thread on here and the hide. It's a quality scope i just realized after using the H59 in a match it wasn't for me and i wanted better turrets. Glass is there though, for the money competing with glass far above it's price range. I used a SKMR3 two weeks ago at carthage on a 624i on my friends 223 trainer and loved the reticle. Hell i already preordered the K525i for August. I really really like the SKMR3, hopefully the K624i doesn't suffer from CA like i've heard, i'll find out soon enough.

Both of my long range elk rifles (300WM, Edge) weigh 12-12.5lbs. I carry them on a good sling. They only go in the Eberlesock scabbard if I'm packing an animal out. I hunt the Bob Marshall, 6-8 miles in is pretty much standard.

Forgot my sling once...Carried the WM ~16 miles on a day mountain hunt...never again.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.