Who crimps their bullets in the case?

Thanks for the advice Bart B I use a .001 bushing but can get another easily enough.
After that I will hopefully feel confident in reloading more than 8 times.
I still have IMR 4064 in the old cans almost full.I will try that load.
Thanks for all the help you and others have given so freely.
Old Rooster

There must be some reason why the most accurate commercial rifle ammo and reloads used in competition producing best accuracy don't have crimped case mouths into bullets.

This includes ammo used in semi auto versions.
Bart B and Old Rooster you guys bring up some good and valid points and have done your homework, all I can tell you is what I tell all the folks in the 7mm STW forum
"Trust Me" if the Lee FCD doesn't improve your grouping I'll buy them from you

Thanks for that offer ButerBean.
Its still pretty cold here but a warm spell is coming so maybe I can get out and test that FCD.They are not that expensive and many have said it improved their groups so I'll give a good run and test several targets.
All have a great Sunday.
Old Rooster

Bart B and Old Rooster you guys bring up some good and valid points and have done your homework, all I can tell you is what I tell all the folks in the 7mm STW forum
"Trust Me" if the Lee FCD doesn't improve your grouping I'll buy them from you
Is there any evidence that the best results (scores & groups) in centerfire rifle competition are attributed to Lee dies or any other crimping method?

Anyone aware of Sierra Bullets rebuttal to Lee that got Lee to exempt Sierra's bullets from their claims?

Sierra proved that knurled bullets shoot less accurate even if they're not crimped in.

USA arsenals making the 174 grain FMJBT match bullets quit putting cannelure in them and didn't crimp case mouths into them because accuracy was better without them

Last edited:
Is there any evidence that the best results (scores & groups) in centerfire rifle competition are attributed to Lee dies or any other crimping method?

Anyone aware of Sierra Bullets rebuttal to Lee that got Lee to exempt Sierra's bullets from their claims?

Sierra proved that knurled bullets shoot less accurate even if they're not crimped in.

USA arsenals making the 174 grain FMJBT match bullets quit putting cannelure in them and didn't crimp case mouths into them because accuracy was better without them
I've read all of that as well and as I said before I'm not a competition shooter. I'm also not talking about cannelure bullets and once again as I said before this subject has been beat to death. The Lee FCD works for me as well a lot of folks that I know here. It to me as important as any tool on my bench. I've also said this a thousand times, The Military Crimps Everything for several reasons but they crimp everything

Last edited:
They did while I was in
Shame shame on them.

What USA military big match winning record setting units did use crimped match ammo?

That said, if one uses the smallest groups shot as the basis for their accuracy ignoring the largest groups, that's been popular for decades.

Last edited:
Here is a site I go to all the time.Here is a chart that's shot to see if crimping was better or worse.Out of all the rifles shot only one was worse with crimping while the others were better accuracy.
I am thinking that some rifles may see a positive difference and others not so much.
It won't hurt to try to see.I'll measure the groups before and after in a 308.While I am not the best marksman by far I am not the worse so I'll see if my rifles gain benefit from crimping.I'll post results
http://www.accuratereloading.com/crimping.html
Old Rooster

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.