who builds the most accurate ultralight hunting rifle?

packgoatguy

Ive been shooting lightweight rifles for a while now (kimber mountain ascent in 6.5cm is one for example... 4lbs 13oz).

However, I want more oomph and more accuracy. Is it possible to make a sub 5.25lb 28Nosler, with a 26 inch or longer carbon fiber barrel, kevlar or carbon thumbhole style stock, titanium action, titanium muzzle break, that shoots half to quarter MOA with quality factory ammo like hornady ELDM, ELDX, or nosler ABLR?

If so, who would make such a rifle?

I know Christensen Arms makes their Summit Ti really light, but that is still 6lbs 7oz. The Fierce CT Edge is still a bit over 6lbs. Ive heard MG Arms makes some light weight rifles, but I don't know that they will use a carbon fiber barrel or not.

APR is real close. You could possibly find a lighter stock. I know they're working on a stock from a new supplier now that should be a tad lighter.

You could also go with a blind mag to shave a couple of ounces.

Lastly, if you're looking to shoot factory ammo, you should really think about a 7RM or 300WM. They're not quite as fast or fancy but get the job done and have way more options in factory ammo.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629638

Manners has a ton of thumbhole options for "light fill" composite stocks that might work for ya if you are willing to put your own rifle together. They aren't too costly either when compared to someone like Mcmillan.

Good luck! Let us know what you end up with.

As my daughter outgrows that 17HMR, I'll need to build her an ultralight 243.

BTW-My favorite rifle weighs 13 lbs.

A 26" .284" Proof Sendero Light weighs in @ 3lbs 2oz uncut. Shave maybe 6oz off for crowning, cutting the tenon and chambering. 2lbs 12oz at least.

Pierce TI LA is about the lightest you can get in an action. 1lb 5oz (20.8oz) for action body and bolt. Add a trigger at a few ounces and say 1lb 11oz or so. Add the bolt lightening option for -1.5oz. So 1lb 9oz or so.

TI brake 4oz

Ultralight stock, look to Brown Precision Kevlar @ 16oz, or MPI as light as 9oz!

Do the stock in an ADL configuration to eliminate bottom metal.

Add a few oz for magazine spring and follower, bedding, etc.

That puts you at about 5.5 lbs all together.

Get some Talley lightweights and a light scope. You should be under 7# all in.

I would not suggest a 5.5lb 28 Nosler, but that is just me. I would look at a .280AI, 7 SS, 7 Saum, etc. I have shot 18 different 28 Noslers. From 8.5 to 15+lbs. A 28 Nosler will not do anything a .280AI will do at 98% of actual realistic hunting distances. A sub-7lb rifle is by no means a 1000+ yard hunting rifle....again, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Using factory ammo is a crap shoot if your gun is going to like the charge, bullet, jump, etc.

Ive been shooting lightweight rifles for a while now (kimber mountain ascent in 6.5cm is one for example... 4lbs 13oz).

However, I want more oomph and more accuracy. Is it possible to make a sub 5.25lb 28Nosler, with a 26 inch or longer carbon fiber barrel, kevlar or carbon thumbhole style stock, titanium action, titanium muzzle break, that shoots half to quarter MOA with quality factory ammo like hornady ELDM, ELDX, or nosler ABLR?

If so, who would make such a rifle?

I know Christensen Arms makes their Summit Ti really light, but that is still 6lbs 7oz. The Fierce CT Edge is still a bit over 6lbs. Ive heard MG Arms makes some light weight rifles, but I don't know that they will use a carbon fiber barrel or not.
Fierce makes some really light rifles but I have no experience with them.

I just went through this same scenario. I was really into ultralights but also wanted an accurate longrange rifle. I had Tikka T3 ultralight in 270, Sako Finnlights in 260rem, 270wsm and 300wsm, Kimber Montana in 280ai, Forbes model 24b in 25-06, and a couple of Melvin Forbes Nula's, a model 24 in 280ai and a model 20 in 6.5 Creedmoor.

All of them were nice, my Kimber Montana and Nula 280ai were probably my favorites out of the bunch, but none were what I would consider sub 1/2 moa rifles. I could pull off some sub 1/2 moa groups but most were just sub moa.

I came to the conclusion that if I wanted a true sub 1/2 moa rifle that there would have to be a trade off somewhere, that would be switching from an ultralight weight rifle to a lightweight rifle. I ended up buying a Gunwerks ClymR in 7rem mag. Oringinally I wanted one with a floor plate but they had one on the shelf with a detachable mag that looked too nice to pass up. It weighs about 6lb 6-8oz bare rifle, about the same weight as my Nula 280ai with a Swaro Z3 mounted on top. If I opted for the hinged floor plate I would have probably shaved 4-6oz off the weight. Because I wanted a long range rifle my choice of optics went from lightweight to borderline heavyweight, coming in at 30oz. Again I could have stayed with a Swaro Z3 and saved myself nearly 20oz, and could have stuck with Talley lightweight rings instead of the heavy duty rings that Gunwerks has with a built in level, probably saved another 2-3oz there but like I said, I wanted a dedicated long range rig so I even added a Tubb level mounted on my scope tube. All in my rifle weighs 8lb 12oz (empty mag and no sling), where my Nula weighed 6lb 6oz, blind mag and lightweight scope. I could shave about 26oz if I changed it up a bit, get me in the 7lb 4oz range, but that's not where my priorities are today. And with a Gunwerks rifle you get the load data for a guaranteed sub 1/2 moa rifle.

Sorry for the long winded response but I hope it brings in some insight.

There is an outfit in Pendleton, Oregon that makes some fairly light rifles. If you Google Pendleton stocks you will find them. Let us know what you decide on. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.