Who anneals their cases?

Moman

Are many of you guys annealing cases? If so, what equipment and process do you use. I have some Nosler 308 brass that's going on its 4th loading, and the last loading they started to feel a bit work hardened. Looking for something that will get through a hundred pieces fairly quickly.

I have a Ken Lite annealer and do it every firing. That way my process is the same and I know the loads will be the same each time.

Jeff gun)gun)

+1 on the Ken Light. Costs a little, but compared to what you spend in guns or scopes it is cheap and brass will last a long long time with absolutely super uniform neck tension.

I have about 4 plates for different calibers and converted it to the two torch system which I think is much easier to do uniform annealing.

BH

Hey thanks guys. I'll take a look at the older posts and the Ken Light. Want to get something going so I don't lose the brass. Thanks again.

+1 on the Ken Light.
I have about 4 plates for different calibers and converted it to the two torch system which I think is much easier to do uniform annealing.

BH

Yep, on the twin torch and mine is even adapted to a line that "T's" and connected to a gas grill lp tank. Flame stays even and no messin with little bottles.

Jeff

The only time I anneal my cases is when I am necking a case down to make a wildcat round. I anneal my 444 marlin brass to make 309 JDJ and my 405 Winchester brass to make 338 GNR.

I use a temp-stick to mark where the shoulder area will be, hold the brass by inserting a small wood screw in the flash hole, heat the brass with a torch while turning the brass until the temp-stick mark changes color, then dump in cold water. Works for me.

What is a temp-stick?

In case you haven't looked them up,
Temp Sticks

They like a big crayola for lack of a better description, and are used for a variety of industrial heat treating and heating uses. We use them to check the temp of couplings when being heated for installation. and for different welding applications where the temp has to stay within a parameter for a specific metal or spec.

They are easy to use and all you do is watch for the color change, and your done.

41Mag, thanks for the info on that, what would be the appropriate temperature to use. I looked at the Len Lite and that thing looks like a real nice setup, but a little pricey for me at the moment. I may be able to swing it this summer. Anyone else have any suggestions? I am interested in any feedback on the Hornady Annealing tool as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.