Who’s using a Kuiu pack

Elkeater

I did a search on here and while there are some older threads I can't find much specific recent info on kuiu packs. I was thinking about ordering a icon pro 5200 system and a pro 2200 bag so I can swap bags around depending on if I'm going in for a week or just a day. I like the sling load function idea but am hesitant to spend $500 on a pack.

What's y'alls opinion on kuiu packs? I'm also familiar with kifaru, mystery ranch etc but the kuiu packs a lighter for the most part and ounces equal pounds.

I have been using the kuiu icon pro 3200 for the last 4 years. Been using it for my day pack, for packing in for 2 or 3 days and have used it to pack elk several times. I purchased it because it was lighter than most of the others. I can't say it's better than others because I haven't used any of the mystery ranch, kifaru, or etc. Most of the time I use it as a day pack carrying approx 15 to 25 lbs and I carry it around 60 days per year. It's the only pack that I have carried day in and day out that my shoulders don't bother me. When you get an animal down you can put a quarter between the frame and pack and it works reasonable well. Also had a small problem this past year with the pack. Wasn't anything that rendered the pack useless but was annoying. When I return home called kuiu and had new shoulder straps and hook ups in a few days. They didn't even ask me to return the original parts send pictures or nothing. Only thing they asked was if I needed it shipped over night. Don't know if this helps. Good luck with your decision.

I ran a Kuiu 3200 for several years- it was actually the ULTRA suspension (lighter weight) with the icon pro bag. If you went with a 5200 I wouldn't bother with the smaller bag, just lash down the 5200 well.

My reason for the franken-bag was the pouches and dividers on the IP bag were a MUST for me. The ultra bag is literally just that, a bag, no pouches, pockets, dividers, etc.

I really enjoyed the bag and my set up. I packed out several animals with it. For daily hunting gear and then packing out a half a deer or one quarter of an elk it works great. If you start getting really heavy 80+ it is not comfortable. But... nothing will be really comfortable at that weight.

I never had any catastrophic failures on any hardware for the pack or frame.

For the price, features and weight I think they are extremely hard packs to beat.

That said- I traded out for a heavier, but more comfortable and better at heavy loads pack in the EXO.

I'm planning on using an ultra 7000 on a sheep hunt this August. Been training with it last few months, hauling just under 40# in it right now it's seems like a pretty nice pack. I also have a stone glacier with the 3300 bag, I feel like the stone glacier is a heavier duty pack and frame and may take more abuse. The kuiu is definitely lighter weight. I like the load shelf better in the SG I also think the weapon sling is better on the SG.

I have been using the kuiu icon pro 3200 for the last 4 years. Been using it for my day pack, for packing in for 2 or 3 days and have used it to pack elk several times. I purchased it because it was lighter than most of the others. I can't say it's better than others because I haven't used any of the mystery ranch, kifaru, or etc. Most of the time I use it as a day pack carrying approx 15 to 25 lbs and I carry it around 60 days per year. It's the only pack that I have carried day in and day out that my shoulders don't bother me. When you get an animal down you can put a quarter between the frame and pack and it works reasonable well. Also had a small problem this past year with the pack. Wasn't anything that rendered the pack useless but was annoying. When I return home called kuiu and had new shoulder straps and hook ups in a few days. They didn't even ask me to return the original parts send pictures or nothing. Only thing they asked was if I needed it shipped over night. Don't know if this helps. Good luck with your decision.
+1
g.png

I've been using a nomad with their guide lid for the past 5 seasons of guiding. Probably packed out around 40+ bull elk and maybe 20 mule deer. Not even a broken buckle yet, which was almost a daily occurence back when I ran Badlands packs .

Kuiu has one of, if not, the best bag setups available but I have broken two frames and I can afford to have a frame snap in the back country while trying to pack out an animal.

One thing I will add. As mentioned I have the icon pro set up. My brother has the ultra set up. Which is a little lighter than mine. I have used it a small amount. It seems to me that it works pretty well, but when you start loading it down with 60 plus pounds it (ultra) doesn't carry the weight as well as the pro. The pro has the ability to make better adjustments. Just my opinion, may not be others experience.

Ran one for a bit but it didn't fit me well, so I moved to a stone glacier and couldn't be happier. Love Kuiu clothes, but not their packs.

I have been using an Icon Pro for the past year. Prior to that I was a diehard Eberlestock man. The Kuiu pack is significantly lighter, but obviously the material is not as rugged as the Eberlestock. I was hesitant to switch, but my hunting buddy who is far more experienced than I, has been using a Kuiu for two years and had a pack of similar material for over 20 years. The weight savings is significant and the pack accomplishes the same things as my Eberlestock system. What's not to like?

We have used 2 Icon Pro 3200s for 4 years now Coues hunting in AZ. The 3200 is about right for a full day out carrying tripods spotting scopes big glasses water food etc. We have whole deer strapped on them between the bag and the frame and they carry great. The new design Circa 2016 makes removing the back even easier. I put a picture of my father carrying a Coues deer on his 2017 Icon Pro 3200 in my avatar.

Last edited:
Had one of the originals and loved it at first great pockets and organization which I have yet to find oen as good but. But then had to load past 65# and it was miserable!! Went with a kifaru T2 and a late season which is 3200 for day pack and couldnt be happier. Heavier overall packs but handle loads so much easier and comfortable and a buddy of mine rant them side by side packing out an elk.

Ive run the smallest ultra last few years.Packed elk,deer,bear and speed goats.Like the lightness for my day hunts put about 60 days a year on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.