Who’s tried a Steripen?

My buddy used one during a back country trip into Yosemite. I took my first need filter/purifier. We didn't always encounter clear water and in those cases the filter was way better than the steripen. But no one got sick using either method and that's what counts.

I like that my filter always produces clear, clean water. I don't see a downside other than I need to replace the filter canister one in a while.

Funny thing I heard about Steripens... They dont actually kill the bacteria. They sterilize it so it doesnt reproduce in your gut. Same effect just found it interesting.

I have used one for going on 8 years and havent had an issue. I do pack tablets with me as a back up (Ive forgotten to change the batteries before but that was my fault no the pens).

I have been using a Steripen Adventurer for 4 or 5 years and love it. Just make sure your batteries are fresh before going out and you will be good. I always bring some type of cloth to filter the water through before I treat it. Also, make sure you bring a wide mouth bottle to filter in. I made the mistake of bringing a smart water bottle on one hiking trip and did not think about how I was going to use the steripen in it.

Funny thing I heard about Steripens... They dont actually kill the bacteria. They sterilize it so it doesnt reproduce in your gut. Same effect just found it interesting.

I have used one for going on 8 years and havent had an issue. I do pack tablets with me as a back up (Ive forgotten to change the batteries before but that was my fault no the pens).

That's not technically correct; please accept my apologies for my contradiction.

UV light is germicidal, meaning it kills. The cellular disruption occurs because of protein-chain lysis causes DNA strand destruction, causing apoptosis, as well as disrupting cell-wall matrices. Antigen testing may still be positive because of Ag present due to the wall fragments, but the pathogenic effect dies with the cells.

The term is UV Germicidal Irradiation (UVGI), and most devices require ~12.5 min to achieve the necessary 30,000 J/cm2 of energy delivery.

I've used my steripen for a few years now and it has always worked well. I change the batteries every year and have never had a problem(knock on wood)

I've used a Steripen for about 10 years. I have the original (I think) model and it still works. I've never gotten sick with it but I have switched over to a Sawyer mini since backpacking with the kids. Not sure why the change of heart...Peace of mind I suppose...less things to go wrong. I'm pretty happy with the Sawyer mini.

I heard the the steripen classic the best / most reliable model also Don't leave your batteries in your steri-pen

Have used steripens for probably a decade or more. Always worked good for me. Just have extra batteries and only really work with clear water.

I always use a Steripen Adventurer when backpacking in any season. Use it in my bike bottle.
I also carry Katadyn chlorine dioxide tablets for my hydration bladder.

Unlike a water filter it will not freeze!

Eric B.

I've been using them for years, great for travel to avoid the dreaded revenge of Montezuma. If you have a solar charger like the Goal Zero I prefer the rechargeable. I also keep mine in my go bag along with other essential items if things go awry.

My partner turned me on to these 2 years ago. He's hiking many major mountain ranges around the world and used it for his primary means of water purification. Now we take a couple Nalgene bottles and a couple water bags for backup

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts