Who’s hex coating monos?

We used to just put everything in the tumbler. but I see that they now use bottles and then put the bottles into the tumbler. Do you use the bottles? Thanks

Yes, hex is very fine in the .5 micron that's recommend for bullets. If you just put in the tumbler, you would have a very fine dust everywhere.

Okay great. Use the bottles, I don't need to add wiping down the place to the chores list lol. Thanks!

I wouldn't use the aerosols.
The reason for tumbling is it is a impact plating way more than a coating.
Agreed.
Tubbs doesn't use aerosol cans. How does one even apply a uniform coating on 100 bullets with a can of spray paint?

Last edited:
can you do just the barrel or do you have to do the bullets and the barrel both? does this stuff get all over like molly does?

awesome thank you! ill look into it. can you 'stop' using it? or once you start with a barrel on a rifle you need to continue?

You can stop. But your MV and POI are susceptible to changing, when the affect of the HBN coating is lost.

Same thing as shooting HBN coated bullets initially, except in reverse. You should expect to have to work up your new dream load when you start coating and shooting the HBN coated bullets.

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but just thought I'd share with the group that asked this question: I hbn coat everything that my savage .300 win mag eats. Most recently i worked up a scorching hot load and successfully took two deer, an antlerless mule and a whitetail buck, with said load.

HBN coated 120 grain Barnes tac tx on top of 89.5 grains of hodgdon superformance in Peterson brass, 215m ignition. DO NOT JUST GO AND TRY DUPLICATING THIS! I did careful work up meticulously. This is yielding 4050 fps muzzle velocity, just about 4400 foot pounds. It's almost certainly quite overpressure at peak, but the cases just lazily dribble out and the primers aren't cratering at all. No issues. I doubt i would have got them rockin this fast with no issues without the hbn initial pressure spike reduction. I love HBN!

My application method is perhaps unorthodox but it was born of needing to use only things I already had when I started using hbn a few years ago. I had literally no extra money at the time to buy anything extra besides the powder itself. I cut open a bunch of steel waterfowl shotgun shells I had laying around, number 2 shot I think, doesn't matter. I washed the bbs in soap and water to degrease them and then I let them dry. This is my media haha. I put these bbs in a small jar with hbn powder and put them in the vibratory tumbler I have (no rotary yet). I then took them out, put them on a cookie sheet, and baked them at 200f or so for a while before tumbling again, figuring the heat would open up any pores in the metal to let the hbn impregnate it more readily.

I still have those bbs. Haven't needed to change a thing. I now do the same thing with my bullets and it works just fine. I put them in a jar with my treated bbs, a bit of powder, and tumble them a while, before taking them out and baking them in an oven at 200 f or so for an hour or so, then tumble them again. Sometimes I take them out of the jar at the end and really let them fly around in the vibratory tumbler.

No problems so far.