Who’s ARCA Rail

Ok, so I want to set up a rifle with an ARCA rail for shooting off a tripod. Who's ARCA rail should I use and why is theirs better. Looking at attaching it to a stock just ahead of the front action screw so if there are any specific rails that work best for this educate me.
I've got a Henderson and couldn't be happier with it. It's flat on the bottom and hugs the stock real nice. No edges to grab and catch your hands or equipment on. Used the 2 factory sling stud holes forward to mount it. But did need to drill and tap a third mount point just forward of the action screw location. Got the installation screw pack along with the rail. Lots more convient than sourcing them separately. Good price and quick shipping. Most all arca rails I have seen are made similar out of the same metal. For me, it came down to availability and cost. I put a 10 inch on my Bergara HMR Pro. Your choice.

Last edited:
I've hunted with Arcas for a few years and think they are great! Everyone should have one if their stock style accommodates them.
It appears the most common mounting location is just forward of the action screw. I have found that location works well for a balance point. It also seems to be right where I want to put my hand to hold the forend. When I'm calling coyotes, I like a center balance point. I need to swivel to make quick shots over a wide field of view. When big game hunting, I like the tripod at the end of the stock and I use a rear rest at the back. This maximizes my stability. If your tripod can go prone, putting it at the forend also gives you more room to work around it.
I recommend a full length rail if you can accommodate it. I also prefer low profile rails which limit protrusion of the rail from the stock.
Check out some of our options we have. New to 2023, we started to make carbon fiber composite rails for the ultimate LW hunting setup.

I am a fan of the full length arcas over the shorter ones. Gives you more versatility to adapt to different positions. Some positions warrant having the head mounted at the balance point, others, say if you have a rear support, you might want the head mounted towards the muzzle end. I have had area 419 and SRS. Both work well. Area 419 is slightly lower profile, but has the arca lock which can feel pretty rough when carrying. SRS is a bit bigger profile but is smooth. Some mentions of henderson or TS customs or other brands. I don't think it matters too much. They all are a fairly simple design with nothing ground breaking. Just pick the length you want and go.

just installed a 16" Area419 on a McMillan using their front action screw attaching rail and three machine screws down the length of the forearm. Very solid set up. Only draw back was I had to build spacers on the forearm screws in order to keep rail level from action screw to forearm tip

Should also be mentioned that it depends on what type of stock you have. Some rails have a flat bottom (area 419 for sure, don't know on some of the others mentioned) and won't fit as well on curved stocks. The SRS is curved on the bottom so fits pretty flush

We make all kinds of rails… flat bottom, curved bottom, short, long, arca and pic combo…

Shoot me a pm if you have any questions.

Ken

I've hunted with Arcas for a few years and think they are great! Everyone should have one if their stock style accommodates them.
It appears the most common mounting location is just forward of the action screw. I have found that location works well for a balance point. It also seems to be right where I want to put my hand to hold the forend. When I'm calling coyotes, I like a center balance point. I need to swivel to make quick shots over a wide field of view. When big game hunting, I like the tripod at the end of the stock and I use a rear rest at the back. This maximizes my stability. If your tripod can go prone, putting it at the forend also gives you more room to work around it.
I recommend a full length rail if you can accommodate it. I also prefer low profile rails which limit protrusion of the rail from the stock.
Check out some of our options we have. New to 2023, we started to make carbon fiber composite rails for the ultimate LW hunting setup.
Thanks for the links,I will check out your products.

I went with a MDT full length rail for my Sig Cross and couldn't be happier. Works great with both tripod and bipod.

They have a short and a long version. They are great!

They have a short and a long version. They are great!

Even better part is we make those!

I understand the longer rails give you way more options, but I can't help but feel that the ARCA rails are a butt ugly intrusion on the trim lines of a classic stock. I know this is impractical but sometimes I move in that direction. Think I might have to start with one of the short 3" - 4" rails first and work my way up to one of the hunter type rails. I do have one rifle in a chassis I could put one of the longer ones on it.

I have a short, rounded bottom SRS arca mounted rearward on one rifle. Definitely a quality piece. I also have a 5" carbon fiber arca on a chassis. It's from Echelon Rifles and it's extremely low profile, very light and unobtrusive.