Whitetail rut

I see a lot of pre-rut scrapes here in Mississippi. Bucks are just marking off their territory. Scrapes do not mean the rut has begun.

Yeah they should be started making scrapes right about now in central Wv. Generally I've took off the first week of November to hunt around scrape lines and do a little grunting with doe bleats that week. Have seen and killed a few bucks that week doing that .
Me and my buddy call scrapes "love letters" . Someone already said it like 10 th grade boys following 12th grade girls that pretty well how it is. Generally from the last week of October to the end of the first week of November a little bit of scent and some modest calling can catch quite a bit of attention .

Done a lap around farm this evening before locking chickens up for the night. An seen 2 bucks one that was a 3 point but only had 1 antler and other was pretty good 8 that took off for cover as soon as he seen me. They was behind sum does but didn't look like any chasing goin on

Just looked outside an seen 7 more deer in meadow in the front yard. Two of which were bucks a spiker an 6er just cruising by they seemed more interested in the dog watching them. Neighbor said he can smell the bucks starting to rut down by his house an has feeder in his backyard. Idk bout all that but it makes for interesting stories when he stops by to inform me of updates on the local herd in the area

Not seeing much rut activity around here yet. Does come out first to feed and they take off at the first sight of a buck. Bucks (still hanging out w/each other) showing absolutely zero interest in them...

For Wv hunters it'll be next week late and we should start seeing a little more as far as scrapes and the first signs of any rut activity. Mostly bucks start leaving little signs before the girls get interested

I saw my first scrape this week. Moved a camera there to see if any doe are marking it.
We had a very early first frost last week for this area.
Cooler weather seems to have the deer moving thank goodness. It's bow season so I'll know more in the morning sitting in a stand.
Typically peak rut here in north east Texas is nov 15-17
So we are about 28 day before so early cycling does should be coming into estrus.
Not sure about the bucks, but my neck is beginning to swell!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.