Whitetail Advise

I am surprised at so of the responses I've read on here...Why shoot in the shoulder and damage all the good meat? Plus a smaller target (which can make a difference when Buckfever sets in)...In my opinion the only other worse shot is at the neck! I have killed a couple hundred deer in my life and I shoot them JUST BEHIND the shoulder, that hits lungs and/or heart, and the kill spot is HUGE!! Having said that not all shots are broad side, so shoot it where you can get the crosshairs steady!!

How are shoulders a smaller kill zone? You dont have to hit lungs and heart to kill an animal. Bust bones they bleed out very quickly and die there is a lot of tissue damage that goes along with it.
High shoulder and you spine them and its done. Not to mention a broken frame and they are anchored. There is very little meat on a deers front sboulders, especially a whitetail. You should hunt elk a couple times and you will learn the value of some broken bones to anchor an animal.

I have to say I aim at the front shoulders, just so I don't have to mess with them! No meat there, and what meat there is, is full of grissle. Yea you can grind it, but not me.
Another reason I aim there, is for the reason mike says. But Notice: We shoot big caliber guns, and have a lot of experience.

I don't recommend that shot for the unexperienced, esp with a small caliber rifle. You can't go wrong behind the shoulder, like Sacket says.

I don't understand why people think a shoulder shot is harder or worse than behind. I personally tell all young hunters to aim there especially if shooting a rifle like a 300 win mag. If you think about it it's better if the shooter is a bit off forward they break the neck anchoring the animal if they are right on they knock the animal down and if a bit behind they make a clean lung shot. Much better than to aim behind the shoulder and potentially miss back a bit and hit guts. Just my opinion but it has served me well will kids and new hunters for a long time

I shot a lot of deer with my 300WM and it depends on where I'm hunting as to where I shoot.
Woods is definitely a shoulder shot. So I don't have to look for them.
Long range out in the open I go for the heart & lung shot.

Thank you all very much for all the input on my questions I appreciate it.

Now I still haven't had the chance to take a Whitetail, still itching for Deer season, but I did take a trip to visit friends in Oklahoma. Also had the chance to take my Weatherby Vanguard 300WM. with me. We were out on her family's farm taking care of some Feral Pig issues they have been having. I hit one dead in the shoulders, I did that on purpose, at 132 yards. I squeezed the trigger, bang, it dropped where it was standing. Bullet hit exactly where I aimed complete pass through. The damage was sick, I had always read about the shields on the pig shoulders stopping some rifle bullets. Is this indicative of what I can expect on a Whitetail?

Pig was 132 yards and weighed in at 214lbs, not huge but still. I now have a better understanding of this "buck fever" people keep talking about I was nervous at the shot and was shaking a bit but my Uncle had taught me shooting techniques, controlling my breathing, calming myself, and all. Took a few moments to do and I was dead on it. I am going to try this coming season to go for the front shoulders on a fast shot but if I can calm down and stay steady I'll put it behind the shoulder. That was a first for me on the shakes while trying to put the cross-hairs on the animal. That's hard to do.

I've talked to the folks at Barnes and they told me that their bullets dont come apart until they reach 4000 fps and over so they would stay together at the range you will be shooting. Just put the bullet in the right spot and you cant go wrong.

Is this indicative of what I can expect on a Whitetail?

Yelp, will drop 100% of the time using the right bullet. Just make sure you hit both shoulders.
Its fun to watch their heads fly backwards, and hit their backs. I have seen their heads fly back so fast and hard, that they stab their horns underneath their cape on their backs. Shoulder shot realy KO's them!

PS.
With that 300 you could probaly shoot one in the hoof and kill him! Its a hell of a caliber!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts