Whitetail @ 100 to 1000 yards, Which bullet from a hot 300RUM

I've never been a believer in head shots. If the deer are calm, then its not a bad proposition, you just observe thier behavior for a moment and time the shot to when they are holding thier head still.
But when the wind is up a bit (making them twitchy) or they are on edge from the intense hunting pressure around here, then head shots are really rolling the dice. Deer don't tend to look around slowly, they jerk thier head from position to position. Even the fraction of a second that a bullet takes to fly the first few hundred yards after pulling the trigger is enough time for a deer to move its head and make a bad hit or even a miss. Skill helps, but eventually luck will be against you, and a miss could happen....I don't like the "could happen", even if the odds are low.

On a completely different note; can anyone tell me why some people advocate shoulder shots, on deer? I've done it twice, both by accident when I was younger. First time using .308, 165gr remington corelokt, 240 yards ... failure to penetrate, shattered shoulder, bullet fragmented, big mess, deer ran 75 yards and died. The second time was a 30.06, 180gr federal soft point, 5 yards (yes only 5 yards, it was practically a shot from the hip as the deer was about to run me over) That one completely powdered the shoulder and the bullet, nearly liquified the internals in the front half of the little buck, and made a ridiculous mess...the buck still ran 40+ yards (on 3 legs) and would have gone further if not for another thicket that tripped him up.
A premium bullet might penetrate better than those two experiences, but I would still bet on a hell of a mess to clean if the shoulder fragments....am I wrong?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.