Whistle-Pig time!

johnnyk

I've been seeing them this past week as I traveled around working. They look pretty mangy when they first emerge. Went yesterday about two hours.
After setting up my rifle on the front rest and rear sandbag, I sat and glassed my favorite field for a while and was kept occupied with 6 deer and a dozen or so crows feeding and fighting. I ranged them several times and practiced dialing in the MOA. This makes me more determined to get a better rangefinder this year. One of the deer looked like she had been hit by a vehicle as both legs on the right side appeared to have been broken and she had a huge growth on her left shoulder. When a semi's brakes scared them I felt sorry for her, the others bounced out of the field, white tails waving, and all she could do was painfully, hobble along.
I had pretty much given up on seeing a groundhog and had just put my 700P/7Mag back in the truck and was preparing to leave when I saw movement down in the valley! I quickly grabbed the bino's and there at 222yds was one feeding. Not LR but a good confidence builder. I grabbed my Win70/HVB .243, settled it on the rest, re-ranged and looked at my ballistic card. 4.3" high at 200yds. I cranked the Nikon up to 20X, adjusted parallex and settled down for the squeeze. I figured it wouldn't stand up, so I settled the horizontal crosshair where its chest met the grass. When it turned toward me and looked up I slowly started my squeeze. Boom-whop! I recovered from the recoil and saw its tail quivering in the grass.
When I got to the "hawg", I could see that the 95gn Ballistic Tip entered the mouth and started it's carnage trail. Pretty messy with a fist sized hole. The season is finally here!! JohnnyK.

P.S. The farmer who owns the field called later that night. I told him about the young doe and he said he wished I would have shot her and if I saw her again to put her down and let him know where she lay, he would get her up.

Sounds great Jhonny

Wish I had a place here in KY to shoot those. Glad to hear that 7mm is still getting the barrel burnt. I had my 308 700P at the range this weekend.

"SCOUTS OUT"

Hey cavtrooper94,
Good to hear from ya again. I imagine the farmers there would love for you to get rid of them. Keep asking, someone will eventually say yes, please, kill'em. :) JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.