Whidden FL Bushing dies

All my bushing dies leave an unsized portion around the base of the neck up to about where the powder marks or your case start. I drop the bushing in, run the cap down until it stops and then back off 1/4 of a turn. I have several sets of Whidden dies and love them for precision rifle rounds.

Trying to put a picture on what the last four guys have told you, their thoughts were mine as well.

Red circle is how the stem holding the bushing down is set to resize the most amount of the neck possible while leaving enough room for the bushing to rattle when shaken. The orange circle has the stem screwed out basically as far as possible to exaggerate the difference and show the range of adjustment on the bushing. I do vary the length of the neck resized sometimes, this particular 6.5CM die on the left is set up to resize for a rifle I run from a mag so I resize a lot of the neck relatively tightly. You can experiment with how much of the neck you do resize, partially sizing the neck is one way to further reduce interference fit below what a -.001" bushing offers.

Red circle has no decapping stem installed, the die works either way.

View attachment 367067
A picture is worth a 1000 words or atleast 4 redneck posts!!!!

Your necks are dirtier than anything I'd run through a die. How did you come up with your bushing size? Not sure about your brand of bushing but some ARE tapered and direction it is installed matters. Here could be your issue. It could be the bushing is too big and is only sizing a small portion of the neck. The mark is from running dirty brass in the bushing.
Who makes a tapered bushing? I've never found one intentionally made that way and want to make sure I never accidentally purchase one.

I agree with those who have already replied that your bushing needs to be adjusted lower in the die. I just didn't get us as early in the morning to answer before they did! Pacific daylight time here in NV.

Who makes a tapered bushing? I've never found one intentionally made that way and want to make sure I never accidentally purchase one.
It is either Wilson or Whiddon. I think Wilson. They are nice because you can flip them over to adjust neck tension by .0005 I think it is.

Hey guys, I have always used cheaper Rcbs non bushing dies and I just upgraded to whidden fl bushing dies. I set them up yesterday and they leave a mark around the neck. So my question is that normal?
Thanks for any information
The mark is on the left cartridge ,?? the ring around the very top, and the one on the right untouched or not sized? Have the same Widden 6.5 CM and in PRC and they work perfect, and use with out the decapper pin in,, de cap with another decapper only die. Also clean all my brass so looks almost new, inside and out.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that commented. I just didn't have it screwed down all the way tight: after fighting to bushing I then backed off a 1/4 turn to let it the bushing have some movement. Thanks for the info!!

Thanks

Attachments

• F6FC9CA5-3A27-433C-B539-CAB3EEEB3A7C.jpeg
    F6FC9CA5-3A27-433C-B539-CAB3EEEB3A7C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 55

Recent Posts