Whidden FL Bushing dies

SHEDKING

Hey guys, I have always used cheaper Rcbs non bushing dies and I just upgraded to whidden fl bushing dies. I set them up yesterday and they leave a mark around the neck. So my question is that normal?
Thanks for any information

Attachments

• 565E3C66-6BE8-4A1E-886B-54D522375E98.jpeg
    565E3C66-6BE8-4A1E-886B-54D522375E98.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 282
  • 174FDF97-DA37-4CFA-97AD-EAB009E67E18.jpeg
    174FDF97-DA37-4CFA-97AD-EAB009E67E18.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 251
I believe it because of the bushing but not sure. I have stopped and doing some research trying to figure out what's going on with it.

Your necks are dirtier than anything I'd run through a die. How did you come up with your bushing size? Not sure about your brand of bushing but some ARE tapered and direction it is installed matters. Here could be your issue. It could be the bushing is too big and is only sizing a small portion of the neck. The mark is from running dirty brass in the bushing.

Had one of my Whidden bushings' leave scratches length-wise down the neck - went to one a thousandth larger, problem solved. Never could find a problem with brass or bushing (burr, etc.). I did start with very clean brass also.

So I measured a round that was already loaded same brass Lott and bullets and then subtracted .002 for the bushing. I believe it was .367 with the calipers and settled on .365 bushing. I will toss them in the tumler and clean them up. See if that helps. Appreciate the advice. Thanks

I think Jeff is right, it looks like you aren't nearly far enough into the die or the bushing is floating a ton. How much shoulder bump are you getting? My guess is you need to screw the die down another turn or more.

Thanks guys as soon as I get back home I will check it. I will let you guys know. Thanks for the responses!

There will be a line where the bushing stops sizing. The amount of neck sized, is adjustable.

I size 1/2 of the neck. A little RCBS 2 lube on necks, off fingers, will not hurt. After cleaning the neck/shoulder with fine steel wool.

I agree with the others but keep in mind if the shoulder bump is set as desired then check set screw deal up top that you put the bushing through. I'm sure you know this but sometimes we miss the Forrest for the trees when we get focused

Last edited:
Trying to put a picture on what the last four guys have told you, their thoughts were mine as well.

Red circle is how the stem holding the bushing down is set to resize the most amount of the neck possible while leaving enough room for the bushing to rattle when shaken. The orange circle has the stem screwed out basically as far as possible to exaggerate the difference and show the range of adjustment on the bushing. I do vary the length of the neck resized sometimes, this particular 6.5CM die on the left is set up to resize for a rifle I run from a mag so I resize a lot of the neck relatively tightly. You can experiment with how much of the neck you do resize, partially sizing the neck is one way to further reduce interference fit below what a -.001" bushing offers.

Red circle has no decapping stem installed, the die works either way.

IMG_0734.jpg