Whidden Dies

I wasn't talking about a FL die. My reference was to a seating die. How many times have you read of people crushing necks or complaining about runout on seating dies when in most instances its not a die problem. Maybe I should have used the words" more often than not"

I wasn't talking about a FL die. My reference was to a seating die. How many times have you read of people crushing necks or complaining about runout on seating dies when in most instances its not a die problem. Maybe I should have used the words" more often than not"
You're certainly correct, in that some folks lack the knowledge on how to properly set things up.

Just wanted to politely provide some perspective. Sometimes It's not the customers fault at all... which is all the more reason why dies need to be done right the first time, because it can be a very difficult problem for the end users to troubleshoot.

I also feel compelled to say that I hope nothing but success for whidden. I hope they are able to unburden themselves of this problem... because despite the shortcomings of the product, they have always been very nice people that have been easy to work with. I don't want it to seem like I'm being overly harsh. If it came across that way, it wasn't my intention.

Company's sometimes have employee turnover that hurts them, not sure if that is the case with Whidden's or not. Johns been a great guy to me and has never given me nothing but a great product.
You talk like your issue you speak of is whats going on today.

I have all good things to say about my whidden dies. They offer great customer support as well! my only gripe is the decapping pins, they are a much smaller diameter, when you run out - good luck finding local!

I just stocked up on them when i bought my last set of dies from them - other then that? TOP SHELF.

You talk like your issue you speak of is whats going on today.
Today? I'm not sure. I don't have their "today" product. My most recent set of dies that I just began working with that I took possession of months ago... yup, for sure there's a problem. There is a defined burr at the neck shoulder junction that is scarring up the necks on my brass something fierce. These same types of problems happened on dies I purchased years ago as well.

Now, I'll chuck the die up in a lathe quick and take care of the issue... but my wishing for the problem to not be there in the first place doesn't make me the enemy.

Whidden isn't the enemy either. But I'm not alone either.

Last edited:
I'm hesitant to respond, but the inference that if someone has a problem, they are wrong... well that's just not the reality of the situation.

I've sent dozens of customers to whidden. Once upon a time they were the only game in town for truly custom wildcat dies. I have more than a couple sets.
3i2Wmbpl.jpg

I'd say my customer feedback on satisfaction sits at about 50%-60% on the first time through... and sometimes it's taken 3 dies before they get it right. I'll mention them to people as an option, which is probably better than most options presently... but still leaves a LOT of room for improvement. My most recent die set is a 20-223AI... which I sent my own resize reamer to have cut. That die scars the necks on my brass... badly. I'll have to go in there and clean it up with some abrasive... just as I've had to do many times in the past. I've yet to inspect my reamer to see what damage, if any, was caused during the cut.

The insinuation made here that anyone having problems with whidden dies is somehow incompetent... is ridiculous, unwarranted, and not based in the facts. Most people are working on a sample size of one or two. Some of us have a large body of experience with whidden, spanning quite a lot of years. They've had problems. They've been informed of the problems. The problems apparently still exist. Which is too bad.

Short Action Customs dies look to be the next logical step forward.
Hear and appreciate your input, I think the post was specifically referencing seater dies,however. My experience is that Forster/Redding are more forgiving in that area... not more or less precise. Whidden differs and prefers you select the seating stem for your specific bullet. Once you are able to dial in on one, their stem works great IMO.

SAC does look good, mandrel similar to LEE, but with a bushing that will size the entire neck I believe. Just limited on cartridges at this point.

I'm hesitant to respond, but the inference that if someone has a problem, they are wrong... well that's just not the reality of the situation.

I've sent dozens of customers to whidden. Once upon a time they were the only game in town for truly custom wildcat dies. I have more than a couple sets.
3i2Wmbpl.jpg

I'd say my customer feedback on satisfaction sits at about 50%-60% on the first time through... and sometimes it's taken 3 dies before they get it right. I'll mention them to people as an option, which is probably better than most options presently... but still leaves a LOT of room for improvement. My most recent die set is a 20-223AI... which I sent my own resize reamer to have cut. That die scars the necks on my brass... badly. I'll have to go in there and clean it up with some abrasive... just as I've had to do many times in the past. I've yet to inspect my reamer to see what damage, if any, was caused during the cut.

The insinuation made here that anyone having problems with whidden dies is somehow incompetent... is ridiculous, unwarranted, and not based in the facts. Most people are working on a sample size of one or two. Some of us have a large body of experience with whidden, spanning quite a lot of years. They've had problems. They've been informed of the problems. The problems apparently still exist. Which is too bad.

Short Action Customs dies look to be the next logical step forward.
Every maker will have a problem.No one perfect.But with all the Whidden diesel you have you have more personal experience than most so I would tend to except your assessment

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.