Whidden Dies

What's your take on them? And if you have em' what rifle and caliber.

Experiences with company, and what else do you do along with the die to get consistent and better accuracy.
I love my Whidden Dies, Case Gauges, Mandrels and bushings As well as a Pointer Die.. The finest craftsmanship. The fit and finish are 2nd to none. I,ve got the 6.5 PRC, 308, & 6.5 Creedmoor. I highly recommend them.

Previously had Forster and was not completely happy with the consistency blaming the shooter and the gun. Got Whidden for 300PRC and after two reloading sessions ordered Whidden set for 6.5PRC. The difference during sizing process is not significant (soft, smooth and ultimately shells are changing their shapes). Huge difference is in flexibility of the die system, consistency and end results. Both companies have great customer service and quality is at a high standard. Whidden provided me with better results though.

What's your take on them? And if you have em' what rifle and caliber.

Experiences with company, and what else do you do along with the die to get consistent and better accuracy.
Have the .408 bushing sizing die and seater. No issues with the set.

I anneal the brass after each fireing and then size with the bushing die.

have multiple dies from them some custom some saami spec. they do not size as much and wont overwork your brass but if you run a lot of warm to hotter loads you will eventually not be able to size your brass enough and will get premature pressure signs but still have good primer pockets. if you run normal pressures these dies work great by not overworking brass and increasing the brass life
I highly recommend them if you understand how they work
I'm fairly new at reloading , about one year, and I appreciate comments such as yours. It gives me insight along with valuable tips. Many Thanks.

I've heard complaints of Whidden's seating dies not producing as good of results as Forster and Redding as far as consistency and runout.

Anyone have any issues with Whidden seaters in any way or could the poor results been more the exception then the norm?

My guess is the person or persons who complained about the Whidden seating die runout were doing one of 2 things, either not properly setting up the die or using the wrong bullet- seating stem combo
I am one of the customers that had the runout issue. The first set were custom 7LRM dies and I ordered with the proper stem for 180 Berger VLD's. Runout was horrible. My cheap set of Hornady dies were much better. As I said in my earlier post they fixed the issue but I had to pay shipping and it took almost a month from the time I shipped it off to when I got it back. Then it happened again a couple of years later on another set of custom dies.
I do still have a set of 300WSM dies that were (in stock) dies and they were good to go and still using them today. The rest of my dies are all Redding, they are cheaper and have never had issues so far.
Just my 2 cents.

I'm hesitant to respond, but the inference that if someone has a problem, they are wrong... well that's just not the reality of the situation.

I've sent dozens of customers to whidden. Once upon a time they were the only game in town for truly custom wildcat dies. I have more than a couple sets.
3i2Wmbpl.jpg

I'd say my customer feedback on satisfaction sits at about 50%-60% on the first time through... and sometimes it's taken 3 dies before they get it right. I'll mention them to people as an option, which is probably better than most options presently... but still leaves a LOT of room for improvement. My most recent die set is a 20-223AI... which I sent my own resize reamer to have cut. That die scars the necks on my brass... badly. I'll have to go in there and clean it up with some abrasive... just as I've had to do many times in the past. I've yet to inspect my reamer to see what damage, if any, was caused during the cut.

The insinuation made here that anyone having problems with whidden dies is somehow incompetent... is ridiculous, unwarranted, and not based in the facts. Most people are working on a sample size of one or two. Some of us have a large body of experience with whidden, spanning quite a lot of years. They've had problems. They've been informed of the problems. The problems apparently still exist. Which is too bad.

Short Action Customs dies look to be the next logical step forward.

If your referring to me to me orkan, read my original post that I've heard of problems but my 7 sets work great and another being made as we speak.
Every business has stuff slip out its how it is doesn't matter if its dies, barrels, actions, reamers its the nature of the beast.

If your referring to me to me orkan, read my original post that I've heard of problems but my 7 sets work great and another being made as we speak.
Every business has stuff slip out its how it is doesn't matter if its dies, barrels, actions, reamers its the nature of the beast.
I'm glad you've had good experiences. Not everyone has had a similar experience, and they aren't all due to user incompetence or negligence. Far from it. That's the only inference I took exception to.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.