Which Wyoming unit to hunt reduced price cow?

Timnterra

I am wanting to hunt elk somewhere, I live in South Dakota and waiting around to draw a tag here is ridiculous. A buddy and I are wanting to do a backpack cow elk hunt in Wyoming this fall if possible. It looks like several units have a fairly good possibility of drawing a cow tag, however each time I think a unit is worth looking into and I call the biologist, I hear the same thing. That the elk all disappear onto private land as soon as the season opens and that everyone who is successful is on private land. I did hear that unit 38 holds elk on public fairly well, however, it is a full price cow tag. I'd rather not hunt cows and pay the same price as a bull, might as well wait for the bull tag if I am paying the same price. Are the units over on the west side by Yellowstone any different? I have an uncle who lives in Wyoming who can be my "resident guide" if I need to put in to draw a tag in a wilderness area. Are any of you guys that have hunted cow/calf seasons in Wyoming willing to help me pick a unit to put in for the draw?
Thanks

I lost your number, or I would text ya. P.m. me, I live on the west/south west side of state.
20191105_130803.jpg

i was up around Gillette and guys were trying to get the elk that were on some private land during deer season. They said once all the deer guys went away the elk would be back on the public land. Don't know how much this helps.

I've been wondering this myself..thinking about putting in for a reduced rate cow tag!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.