Which WY unit for left over tag hunt, 17, 22 or 23?

sambo3006

Still trying to decide whether to get tags for 17, 22 or 23. I have a land owner list for all three units. I heard that 17 had a winter kill that reduced goat numbers and there isn't much public land there. Units 22 and 23 have more BLM but I'll need a GPS chip to know where it is. As far as private land, I figure at this late date I'll have better luck talking to land owners while I'm out there since they are all booked up right now for the opener. I'm also going to keep an eye on the weather forecast, no sense in buying tags then getting stuck in a snow storm. I will have 4 or 5 days to hunt so with good weather I'm willing to look for a couple days for the best buck I can find, hopefully 70 inches or better. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
Sam

You might check again, when I looked, there were no leftover tags remaining for any unit.

22 isn't a bad choice. Tons of good goats there... If you get the tag.

LOL I just checked and there are 1300 any tags left......I live here and ain't interested in any of the areas available. Sorry I can't help with the area questions.

I'm already helping someone on here w/ access in 23. They called the list and didn't find a landowner to let them on. Was up the East side of 17 and didn't see a lot. Have a landowner there and he said numbers are better than last yr. West side has been better again if you can get access. 22 May worth hunting. Less winter kill a couple yrs ago. Not a unit I hunt so I can't tell you anything about access. Rain the next couple days so will be muddy for the opener. Bruce

I went with 22, bought my tags yesterday. I'll be out there on the 12th and didn't want to take the chance on tags still being available when I got there. I have a land owner chip coming for my gps and a map of all the public roads in 22. No trespassing ticket for me!

I just came back from hunting 108 and my buddy and his family were hunting in 53. If I am not mistaken 53 might still have a few tags left over and we saw some HUGE bucks in the Brown's Hill area heading towards McCarty Canyon. One of which would easily get into the high 70's maybe low 80's. He was tall, thick, and for an antelope he was extremely wide, I've never seen another or photos even of one that was as "Y'd" out at this buck! Unfortunately we all had doe tags and could only admire him from a distance. also, while all others were herded up and tending their does this guy was alone... makes me wonder if there is a bigger more dominant buck in the area and what HE looks like!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.